HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-09-2006, 09:11 PM   #21
heblaj01

To the two above posts by Robin in which in vitro evidence of ERB inhibitors such as lapanitib (Tykerb) or transtazumab (Herceptin) upregulating the ER pathway one can add this small study in humans which seems to confirm the lab findings:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&li st_uids=16417653&query_hl=1&itool=pubmed_DocSum
Breast Cancer Res. 2006;8(1):R4. Epub 2005 Dec 7
Reverting estrogen-receptor-negative phenotype in HER-2-overexpressing advanced breast cancer patients exposed to trastuzumab plus chemotherapy.

Munzone E, Curigliano G, Rocca A, Bonizzi G, Renne G, Goldhirsch A, Nole F.

Department of Medicine, Division of Medical Oncology, European Institute of Oncology, Via Ripamonti 435, 20141 Milan, Italy. elisabetta.munzone@ieo.it

INTRODUCTION: The amounts of estrogen receptor (ER) and progesterone receptor (PgR) in a primary tumor are predictive of the response to endocrine therapies of breast cancer. Several patients with ER-positive primary tumors relapse after adjuvant endocrine therapy with no ER expression in the recurrent tissue; much fewer with a recurrent disease after an ER-negative primary tumor may become endocrine responsive. These sequences of events indicate that a phenotype based on ER expression may not be a permanent feature of breast cancer.
METHODS:
Ten patients with advanced breast cancer whose tumors overexpressed HER-2, but not ER or PgR, were treated with weekly trastuzumab at standard doses with or without chemotherapy.
RESULTS:
Three out of 10 patients showed overexpression of ERs first appearing after 9, 12 and 37 weeks, respectively, from the initiation of trastuzumab. Two of these patients were subsequently treated with endocrine therapy alone: one of them received letrozole for 3 years without evidence of progression. CONCLUSION:
Therapeutic targets enabling the appearance of an endocrine responsive disease may increase treatment options for patients with breast cancer. Furthermore, these clinical data suggest that an ER-negative phenotype is a multi-step process with a reversible repression modality, and that some ER-negative tumors may either revert to an ER-positive phenotype, allowing an endocrine treatment to be effective.

One wonders if the fast success of treatment seen in some women taking an aromatase inhibitor (such as letrozole,Anastrozole,fulvestrant...) in addition to Herceptin is in part explained by attacking both ER & HER pathways.

If someone has a contact with a knowledgeable researcher or clinician it would be interesting to have his opinion on these questions:

1. Over the long term are all takers of ERB inhibitors likely to need endocrine treatments for ER+? Or which subset of patients?

2. Should anti estrogens treatments be started concurrently with Tykerb or Herceptin (even if there is no initial evidence of ER+ disease)?
Would the benefits (hopefully faster & better outcomes) outweight the increased side effects?

3. If on the othe hand the antiestrogen treatments are to begin after reversion from HER+ to ER+ what are the tests providing the earliest diagnostic of the reversal? (if possible non invasive to avoid frequent biopsies or bone marrow aspirations which are also limited in scope by their localized nature)

Last edited by heblaj01; 06-09-2006 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: Typo correction & italics added
heblaj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:26 PM   #22
MGordon

Joe/Christine/HER2 Board/et al

Speaking as a family member that "looks like (fingers firmly crossed)" will be placed on this compassionate Release program - I can not thank Joe/Christine and all of the HER2 Board Members enough for all of your efforts with GSK and Tykerb. Lisa and I will keep everyone in the loop as to when she starts Tykerb and how the treatments progress.

Thanks again!

Love and Light
Mel Gordon
Old 06-27-2006, 10:54 AM   #23
Unregistered

Johanna from Iceland here,

I am so thankful for this site and for Joe and Christine, what a wonderful people. I was thankful that Joe answered my brain post. Suddenly I´m on hurry in this battle, starting radiation tomorow and believe in good resulsts and have talked to two oncs. (young women that stdied in USA) and pushing them to help me to get tykerb to save me. I have responded well to all meds. uptil now and I want to have more time with my family.

Love and hope

Jóhanna
Old 06-30-2006, 12:02 PM   #24
Marily

Tykerb qualification

I also want to thank you very much for all the work you have done to make this drug available. We are truely blessed that people like you exist!
I do have a question on the qualification.
It seems to be stating that you must have agressive cancer and tumor growth? not responding to Herceptin .. if i am understanding what I read.
Also it would be wise to be on something like on of the Aromatase inhibitors. Does this mean If I can not take Herceptin because I am allergic to it, but my cancer which was VERY AGGRESSIVE but which has not changed from NED, (of which I am very thankful ), I would not qualify?
When I read the compassionate use statement I am confused on this?
Thank you
Marily
Marily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:22 AM   #25
Nwehrell

Thank you SO much!

I just found out in the last few weeks that my mets have "fired" back up while on herceptin.

I have called Glaxo Smith to see if I can be enrolled in the EAP.

Based on what they are looking for I qualify (fingers crossed)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS!!!

Stage 4
Bone and Lung Mets
Her2+ ER/PR+
Nwehrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:47 PM   #26
Unregistered

Smile

Christine & Joe, Many, Many thanks for all your efforts.. It's people like you who make the world a better place. Kathie