HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-07-2006, 01:21 PM   #1
Patty H

break is over

I have been off treatment for almost 6months other then zometa monthly. Today my pet scan lit up in my hip. I will have A MRI on it tomorrow. Also the 33 radiation treatments to my lung met didn't work. The met is still growing. If the hip is not cancer the Dr. is talking about surgery to the lung met. If the hip is cancer he said there is no use doing surgery. My friends, while we were sitting in a resturant yesterday, all prayed for me right there. I had peace and a good nights sleep last night. So now I prepare to battle again. Anyone have surgery on a lung met? Patty H
Patty H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:32 PM   #2
pattyz

Patty.... How can that be?? 33 rad treatments 'didn't work'??? I have no experience, save for my brain mets and rads, but that sounds, well... incredible to me! With much talk of necrosis, could what is showing as 'growth' perhaps be some type of reaction or necrosis from the rads?? oh god, I hope it's something like that....

hugsxoxoxo,
pattyz
pattyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:41 PM   #3
Sherryg683

My sister in law had a rare bladder cancer, they gave her 3 months to live.. Seven years later, she's around and doing awesome. She had a lung met pop up last year, they watched it and saw it was growing, so they went in and removed it. She didn't have to have chemo or anything and she's doing great...her scans continue to be clean.. Why won't they remove it if the hip is cancer? The hip cancer is not life threatening but if the lung continues to spread it could get serious, you think they would remove the dang thing.. It is no doubt very resistant to radiation. Have you been on chemo for the lung met? I would throw some sort of fit for them too...sherryg683
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:27 PM   #4
Lolly

Patty, did the lung met also light up on the PET? If not, hoping it's as Pattyz has suggested, that it may be necrosis. And I also don't understand why further treatment of the lung met isn't warrented even if it is in the hip bone. Ask for specifics, and keep us posted hon.

<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:52 PM   #5
heblaj01

Patty,

Hoping your lung problem is not a met. A PET scan might determine what it is (malignant or non malignant).
Should you need a treatment ask your onc if the new experimental regimen of
Terceva+ Celebrex is a suitable non invasive treatment before considering surgery.
See post at http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin...ad.php?t=24036&
heblaj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:03 PM   #6
madubois63

I am so sorry to read your post. I am praying for some good news for you. I was inoperable, but I do know peole that have had as much as half a lung removed. I hope this is not your case. Please keep us posted. Good luck and God bless. Maryann
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:40 PM   #7
al from Canada

Patty H,
I'm distressed however, talk to your onc about avastin. There is a very high cor-relation with HER2 and VEGF. The main drug at this point for VEGF is AVASTIN. The lungs and liver are a blood hot-spot and that's why stubborn tumors. Avastin cuts the blood supply. Also think about tykerb as maybe you are really HER1 +++. This can over-ride some HER2 therapy response.
Tell your onc to get creative or start shopping for a new one. If he can't think out of the box, he's not the guy for you. Let's face it, stage 4..... the only way to turn things is to take control because 90% of the onc's aren't.

Good luck,
Al