HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-06-2006, 03:19 PM   #1
janet/FL

Hi Ronda
Good question. My last treatment is next month. I too wonder what changes theere will be. I was diagnosed 11-2004 with lumpectomy 12-2004. 9 mm tumor, no nodes positive. ER/PR negative, Her2, FISH postive. Turned down the recommended A/C. Had 35 rounds of rads and finished those in March of 2005. Changed oncolologtists and began Taxotere/Herceptin in August 2005. Now on every three week plan.
Very much looking forward to being off Herceptin and having my port out. As stage one. my doctor does not recommend any particular follow up other than seeing him every three or four months to see if I have any new complaints. He feels there is no difference in survival rate for those that are caught with mets before or after symptoms. I don't have the energy to fight him over it right now. I just want all of this OVER! I will have a mammo and bilateral breast MRI in December, but that is because my breast surgeon is recommending it.
I hope to lose the weight I am just now piling on. Four pounds in the last three weeks! And be able to sleep again. Also, my eyesight has changed so. Much more far sighted than before.
I am interested in everyones response.
Janet
janet/FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:59 PM   #2
Susan Rankin

Question Life After Herceptin

Hi Janet,

I also have had decreased vision since being on Herceptin. I hope it will improve when I finish up in two weeks. My fingernails are so thin. I have put on extra weight also. My nose is runny all of the time but this started when I had my first chemo in September 2004.

I will be happy to be off of the herceptin but will be scared to death I will have a recurrence. My oncologist says I should be more positive and the Arimidex will be working to keep the cancer from returning.

I was diagnosed in July of 2004 so I am coming up on two years.

I will post on how I am doing when I finish up with the Herceptin.

Susan
Susan Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:25 PM   #3
sherri

Life is beautiful after Herceptin!

Hi Rhonda,

I finished my last Herceptin on May 11. DX December 23, 2004, Chemo 6XAC+T every 2 weeks, 10 days after the last one had Mastectomy On April 15, Radiation and Herceptin started on May 15, 2005. Now I feel good, and I have more energy, hoping to lose the extra weight and planning to do the reconstruction by the end of this year and climb Mount Everest next year. I enjoy every moment of my life, I spend a lot of time in nature, I go to a Boot Camp every other day at 6:00 AM and hike 3 to 4 times per week. It seems I'm becoming more normal every day. I think about recurrence some times, but try to be positive and if it comes back I'll deal with it then not now. As someone else said "Life is good" and beautiful!

Big hug,
sherri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:15 PM   #4
margaret

I fininshed my last treatment of herceptin in March 2003. I've had no medicine since then and I'm extremely grateful. I was stage 3b in Nov. 2001 and told I had a poor prognosis. Right now, I feel completely cured and am living each day to the fullest with much gratitude and very little fear. I had gained about 10 pounds on the herceptin so after I was done I was able to lose weight fairly easily. I work hard at keeping a strong immune system. To me, my health is all about my immune system and there are many factors to having a strong immune system. There's the basic eating well, exercise and sleeping well. Also there's emotional and spiritual wellness that contribute to the immune system. I work hard at clearing away negative emotions, not holding things in, and filling up on the positive. Stress is also a major factor. I find ways to keep my life as stress free as possible.
I highly reccomend yoga and meditation. It's shown me a whole new way to take care of myself and feel free of fear and I'm learning ways to fill my life with love and joy.
Good luck,
Margaret
margaret is offline   Reply With Quote