HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-04-2006, 04:16 AM   #1
Kimberly Lewis

Great answers all!

thanks all for the replies. Food for thought, I have really been going around about this. Yesterday I happened to be with two members of an artist guild and they both had single mastectectomies. They both said they would never wear their prostesis if they had a double! I just will have to adjust to it!
Kimberly Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:32 AM   #2
JoyMiller

no bra

I am so glad this has been discussed!! I too have had a double mast and opted for no reconstruction. I LOVE NOT WEARING A BRA!!! Sometimes I feel that I look sort of weird, but it has been just over a year now and I am pretty comfortable with my appearance. I do pay attention to the clothes I wear- usually not knit tops, etc. because one side healed oddly and is concave, but overall I feel great and think I look pretty darned good! I may get a great tatoo sometime- I have seen some pictures of some women who have some pretty amazing designs. I'm not yet ready for the pain and am still in treatment with Herceptin, so I will wait a while. I am comfortable with my decision not to have reconstruction and feel uncomfortable with prothesis or padding. I totally respect everyone's decisions- this is just what works for me.
JoyMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:36 PM   #3
athena453

I have had the double masts and I do wear a bra and prosthesis. I don't wear anything around the house. I do tend to wear more fitting clothing, fits better with a bit of a chest.
R prophylactic mast. 3/3/06
athena453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:04 AM   #4
Unregistered

The most "flat chested woman on the planet"

Bi-lateral in Tight Sweaters
Old 04-05-2006, 01:05 PM   #5
Sue2001

I had a single mastectomy and often go without a bra or prosthesis. Like Lolly, I have trouble with lymphedema and a bra causes problems after a while. I felt uncomfortable at first but now I don't care. No one has ever said anything to me about it. If I had a double mastectomy I don't think I would ever wear a bra again! I say, do whatever makes you feel the most comfortable.

Sue
Sue2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:54 PM   #6
Barbara2

YES! No bra for me!!

I have a double mastectomy (55 yrs), and am very comfortable going without a prosthesis. I will wear one for dressy occasions, otherwise, forget it!

It is GREAT! One drawback, though. I need to loose about 20 lbs, and my belly looks bigger with no boobs to help smooth things over. I can see why overweight men look the way they do. Oh well, it still feels good not being strapped up with a bra.
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 10:37 AM   #7
RobinTN

Hi I am new here.Today is my first day.I have been reading and reading all day all of your posts and am so thankful to find this board.How I admire all of you ladies.

I am 44,an RN and was diagnosed at 42 with inflammatory bc stage 4,w/mets to nodes and liver in 2 areas even my onc didnt give me much hope.But I had chemo,herceptin,double mastectomy,radiofrequency ablation on the liver and just finished rads friday and am on arimidex and have a repeat PET for tuesday and how I pray that goes well.

I just wanted to give a little background of myself.I have never worn porsthesis.
When I go out I am flat and I to have a tummie buldge,but I am as comfortable as I can get for just finishing rads.I have to wait for 6 months before having recon and have no intention of wearing a bra ever again unless I have to.
I also stopped wearing hats,wigs,ets as soon as I got a 5 o'clock shadow.
With all I have been thru I could care less if people stare at me.
I read a saying once from someone on another board that said "I may be fat,and I may be fat,but thank God I am alive".That quote changed my whole outlook on life.

I am honored to meet all of you and cant wait to share and learn from all of you.

Don't Give Up,Look Up!
RobinTN is offline   Reply With Quote