HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-06-2006, 06:24 PM   #1
Liz J.

Angry Radiology Dr. protocol

Hi HER2 family,

In the scheme of things my post is not really important, but as the first anniversary of my dx will be coming up soon I am, as of late, being constantly reminded of what happened. Although I found the lump myself just washing in the shower I requested a mammo/sono before any biopsy. I think in the back of my mind I was hoping for a miracle - you know something like "it is nothing". I still would have gone for biopsy. After mammo, the sono tech was working on me and suddenly said "I will be right back". She came back a few minutes later with a woman who introduced herself as the radiology dr. She looked at the screen and said "I have very bad news for you - you have breast cancer, although it is not 10 years ago so you could probably live for several years with this". Then she asked me if I was there by myself. I was crying and shaking and she just exited stage left. Still can't believe I was told like that by a perfect stranger. I know this is in the past but I just hope no other of us has had this experience.
Liz J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:33 PM   #2
Unregistered

I was told by the radiologists like this "you need a biopsy, given your family history I bet you feel like a ticking time bomb." B@#ch! I hope that if and when it is her turn some one returns the favor and tells her just as unsympathetically.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:45 PM   #3
Bev

Hi, I think the protocol is that you don't call it cancer until an imaging test has been collaborated by a biopsy. My mammo and ultra were declared highly suspicious of cancer. So I had a flicker of hope, silly me. I don't know which is worse, having your hope dashed sooner or later. Instead of saying you have a few years left, they said 85 to 95% survive 5 yrs, which was somewhat encouraging, except for 5-15%. No counseling if that's you're getting at. Can't say I felt very encouraged after that visit. Dark days then, but is it the fear of the unknown? Congrats on being one year out. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 04:46 AM   #4
Unregistered

There is a huge need for a program of "education" into basic facts of BC, treatments effects options procedures at the point of identification of the first potential signs of BC.

This would enable people to get a handle on things, accept and consider the potential realities and so be better prepared for the possible news of cancer and the process and decisions that entails.

This is important for all women but particularly the younger ones and those in the fertile age group with family aspirations.

It is very saddening that patients appear to be walking into biopsies etc virtually completely uninformed, and surrounded by a system that appears to be too busy or not value pre-information.

RB

RB
Old 03-08-2006, 06:42 PM   #5
Les

Smile

I will never forget the day I was called back about my mamo, I was called in for an ulrasound the tech didn't say much and then the radioligist came in and said she was worried about me. Then during the biopsy i asked her if it was cancer and she said yes then I passed outwhen I came to I had to walk to the next room with the needle in my breast for another maomo. I think that was the worst day of my life.beside loosing my best friend to bc the year before. But the good news is that was 2 years ago and so far so good.
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:22 PM   #6
Yorkiegirl

I am coming up on my 1 yr. of being Dx'd (March23) I was told I had nothing to worry about that it wasn't Cancer by the radiologists, BUT if would make feel better I could see a surgeon and have a biopsey. WELL, what if i had listened and not had the biopsey?

I had 3 tumors 4cm, 5cm and 6cm. The 5 & 6 cm never showed on Mamo or Ultra Sound at all. I had 5+ nodes out 16 removed, er/pr- her2+++

Then this past December when my Mamo showed on my Left side to have increased microcalcifications I knew I couldn't go thru all the worry and had a Simple Mastec on that side.

Here I am only about 2 weeks shy of my 1 yr Dx'd and getting more stressed by the day.

Vicki
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:46 PM   #7
Bev

Ouch. Mine didn't show up on mammo 6 mos prior, but only one, not so many. Hope you have it beat this time. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:49 PM   #8
Sandy H

Well, here is my shocker! I thought I had the flu, with a high temp, fever and chills ended up being admitted for IV antibiotics. Had a red swellen breast. The surgeon came in had never seen him before and he said I think you have inflammatory breast cancer and if so then you are looking at chemo, surgery, radiation, more chemo and on and on it goes. You not only suffer from this terrible disease your family suffers and your friends. This is a very aggressive kind of breast cancer and there is no long term survival here!! I was in the hospital alone at the time and he told me this 4 times in 3 days!!! The nurses were all upset over how he handled it with me. The supervisor who I knew told me don't come here for your treatments get out of the area!!! Can you imagine? I lived with these words for months and thought I would never get them off my mind. I never saw again him once I left the hospital my choice as I could not deal with him. Because he never heard from me I got a certified letter from him telling me what he recommended for treatment for me. This was to cover his butt!!! I don't know where he ever went but he ended up leaving this area that was a relief because I was scared to death that I would run into him in the hospital. I felt like he put a curse on me. hugs, Sandy
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 06:03 PM   #9
tousled1

I too found the lump myself. My primary care physican sent me for a diagnostic mamo. Had the mamo and then sono, after which the tech left the room and came back with the radiology doctor. He told me that there was a suspicious area on my breast and said that I would probably need a biopsy. He also said that he was going to call my primary care physican that same day. My primary care doc called me within 3 hours and told me that I would have to see a surgeon as there was a "very high chance" I had breast cancer. He referred me to a surgeon and I had the biopsy and it was indeed stage III ductal cancer. My mamo was Oct 2005 and I am undergoing chemo before surgery. I am now half way finished with the chemo and the tumor is shrinking.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:50 PM   #10
sherri

After dealing with some of these radiologists and Doctors, I wish soon they make Nice Robots to replace these cold businessmen or women. My father was a Doctor, a great surgeon. He would stay with his patients when they needed him even when he was not on call. At the time I thought he is too attached to his patients. Our house was full of different kind of presents all the time. Whe he passed away thousands of people came to his funeral telling us how he saved them and they loved him and worried who will take care of them when they get sick. After being dx with cancer I understand his patients much better.
sherri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 12:08 AM   #11
Esther

I found the lump myself. I had a bad ski accident, and afterwords was feeling my whole left side to see if anything hurt. Well, there was this lump!!!

My sister is a family practice MD and she sent me for a mamo and ultrasound. The radiologist got back to her within hours and reported that it was suspicious for malignancy.

So I knew right away that it was probably cancer. By the time the onc surg called me after the core biopsy, it was almost like a small aftershock...

I probably got the news as gently as you possibly can, and still it was one of those awful moments in your life that you never forget.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote