HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-07-2005, 12:08 AM   #1
Unregistered

Pain Killers that will not make you drowsy.

Hi,
I have a lot of pain in my shoulders due to bone mets. The doc prescribed 2 tabs of tremadol (total 100mg) a day. This relieves the pain but gives me hangover like felling. Even If I take it at night around 8pm I tend to feel drowsy and woozy till 2 Oclock in the afternoon next day.
He has now put me on duracet which causes less wooziness but at the same time does not relive the pain as much. Are there any killers which will do the trick and not leave me like a zombie.
In the past I tried synflex, arcoxia ( anti infalamatory) but they do not seem to rellieve the pain. Any info from you guys is valuable. Thanks very much.

Cheers,
Ragini
Old 12-07-2005, 12:21 AM   #2
kristen

Ragini.
I took oxycodone and it made me sleep when I took two at night and one during the day to take the edge off. Another pain reliever is Ultraset. It is not habit forming, but I cannot take it due to other drugs that I am on. I did take it for a while until the pharmacist caught it and told me not to. It seemed to work and didn't have the side effects that most pain meds have. It's worth a shot? Good luck to you.
MRM: 11/07/03
TX: TCH-BRICG Study-6 tx's; 12/15/03
Herceptin; til 12/14/04
Rads: 30 days
BRCA neg
S-Gap: 12/15/04
Oct 05: LAVH
NED
kristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 07:32 AM   #3
Cindi

Ragini,

I took tremadol a couple of months ago. Had a reaction similar to yours. I then tried Oxycodone and later Oxycontin. They cut the pain, but after using either of them for 2-3 weeks, I began vomiting from the build up of them in my system (I even tried cutting them in half and such).

Now I use Methadone. I am told it is an "old" drug. But, for me it works. My nerve pain has reduced now, so I take just 1/4 of the pill in the a.m. and 1/2 in the evening. No drowsiness, or state of "zombi-ness" and happily, for my particular situation, no vomiting.

Keep pursuing the issue, you WILL find the right drug.

Cindi
Cindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:50 AM   #4
pattyz

Ragini... no help here but 'glad' (under the circumstances) to see word from you.

I do take MS Contin without the side effects you describe... altho' in small doses of 30mg/15mg/15mg. What about the different patch pain relievers?

good to 'see' you, dear,
hugs,
pattyxoxox
Old 12-08-2005, 05:28 AM   #5
Lyn
A Living Legend

Smile

Hi, I am having neck and shoulder pain not from mets but from fracture on one side and nerve damage to other side. I have had to experiment and have found that I need a combination of drugs to get good relief, I have 2mls Ordine 5mg with 1 anti-inflammatory Ipruphen together with either 2 Panadeine Forte or 1 Endone (oxycodine) then I only need mild pain relief during the day, usually only 2 paracetemol at 3-4 hour intervals and then same dose at night of the combo taken in the morning. I have tried eliminating and swapping and changing drugs because I don't want to become addicted and this combo has been the best so far. Hope this helps.

Love & Hugs Lyn
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote