HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-26-2005, 11:18 AM   #1
Alice

Question has anyone had neoadjuvant chemo?

I had neoadjuvant chemo 4 dose dense A/C 3 carbo-taxol-herceptin before surgery. I was diagnosed in april with IDC multifocal stage 2 grade 3 er/pr neg her2+++. Had mastectomy oct 7 no cancer cells left on pathology report!
I go to see my onc on tuesday to discuss adjuvant chemo and or radiation.I would like to know if anyone else has had chemo before sx and any advice anyone can give me. I hate the thought of more chemo but if it will help against a recurrance I'll do what it takes.
Thanks, Alice
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 12:28 PM   #2
Val Pfeiffer

hi Alice--
I had neoadjuvant chemo and adjuvant chemo--Herceptin, Taxol & Carboplatin. Neo-adj was December, January and February, mastectomy first week of March, then three more months of chemo, followed by radiation. I was Her2+, ER/PR-, and had node involvement...5/8+....although in my case many of the cancer cells were already dead as well.

I have also chosen to get Herceptin weekly after everything, since Tamoxifen, etc. doesn't work with ER/PR- cancer cells.

I hate to give advice without knowing more, but the odds are so strong in these cases of a recurrence that I would definitely take the adjuvant chemo too. How large was your tumor?

Val
Val Pfeiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 12:41 PM   #3
Alice

Hi Val,

I had a total of 4 tumors largest was 2.2 cm 2 at 2 cm and one at .5 cm for a total of 6.7 cm. The staging is their best guess concidering sx was after chemo.
I had a pet/ct and MRI prior to chemo that showed node involvement. Also the primary site was in the axillary area.I want to be prepared on tuesday to ask the right questions.
Thanks, Alice
Old 10-26-2005, 12:55 PM   #4
Val Pfeiffer

What does your oncologist advise? I can't imagine that he or she would not recommend more chemo in your situation. Recurrence is such a strong possibility--I would go for it.

I have a friend who had a stage 1 cancer 13 years ago who just had a recurrence of Her2 bc. She would probably say the same--do everything you can now to reduce the chances of the recurrence. Especially since there isn't a medication like tamoxifen for ER/PR- cases that you can take after treatment.

If you need more details from me please ask :-)
Good luck with everything!!

Val
Val Pfeiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 02:39 PM   #5
Julie2

I had neoadjuvant dose dense AC+Taxol which got rid of my entire tumor leaving only DCIS and micromets to the auxillary nodes. Wish I had Herceptin with Taxol which would have resulted in a pathological response like you. After mastectomy I had xeloda+Herceptin+radiation all at the same time and now on a year of Herceptin till March 06.

Julie
Old 10-26-2005, 03:39 PM   #6
Alice

My surgeon is going to take my case infront of the medical board at the cancer center for recomendation and I'll find out on tuesday what they recomend.

Thanks, Alice
Old 10-27-2005, 03:07 PM   #7
wendywidder

Hi Alice, your dx seems really similar to mine: IDC, multi-focal, NP, ER-PR-, HER2+++, stage 2 or 3, mastectomy with clean path report. I am presently taking herceptin for one year. I'll be interested in what they recommend for you and what others in similar situations have done with what results.

Thanks, Wendy
wendywidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 07:12 PM   #8
Kim in DC

more chemo

I had neoadjuvant taxotere and Herceptin. Then I had Navelbine and Herceptin. Now I am just on Herceptin. The Navelbine and Herceptin were easy for me and my hair even started going back. At the very least, you should be on more Herceptin for at least a year.
er/pr-, her2neu+++
8/19 taxotere and herceptin
1/15/2005 Navelbine/Herceptin
4/2005 radiation and Herceptin
5/15/2005 Herceptin alone
2/12/2008 skin biopsy positive
2/14/2008 met to sternum, possibly right breast
2/27/08 Start omitarg, herceptin, taxotere trial
3/17/08 Kicked off trial because I started too close to my last herceptin
3/19 start tykerb xeloda
Right breast confirmed met
5/15/08 skin mets gone, no hypermetabolic activity in breast, sternum healing
8/24/08 scans still look good. sternum still active with scarring. No evidence of progression
10/08 Progression in sternum
12/08 Start TDM1 trial
1/09 Scans show stable
12/09 1 year on TDM1 still stable
10/10 progression in chest and liver
11/10 false positive of liver mets; tykerb and herceptin
4/11 Tykerb/Herceptin/Xgeva
4/11 Rads to Sternum
5/12/12 NED Herceptin/Zometa
3/16/19 still NED Herceptin/Zometa very 6months
Kim in DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 04:37 PM   #9
Patty H

I had chemo then surgery but because I had 3 bad nodes they put me back on chemo after. The Dr. said it was because of the positive nodes that I had to have more chemo. Patty H
Patty H is offline   Reply With Quote