HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-12-2005, 10:30 AM   #1
*_Linda_*

Hi everyone,
I am a freelancer that has to pay for my healthcare out of pocket. I signed with a broker who enrolled me into a very expensive ppo with a high deductible. It's with Healthnet. What I'd like to know is, is anyone with a HMO group that has not refused you for herceptin? Or, can anyone give me advice on what provider is a good one to go with?
Just thought I'd shoot it out there to see if I can get any recommendations.
thanks everybody!
Old 09-12-2005, 07:23 PM   #2
Lani

Once you have breast cancer you are to my understanding virtually uninsurable as an individual ie, if you attempt to change your insurance every other company will reject you. If you get a non-freelance job with a large company with grpoup coverage, there will be a waiting period during which you cannot get coverage for a pre-existing condition. Insurance comanies "cherry-pick" and those with her2neu positive breast cancer are certainly not "cherries"! ie, they are likely to need to utilize their insurance in an expensive way. Most insurance companies are now "for profit" and make money by NOT ENROLLING and even DROPPING people who are likely to actually utilize their insurance. HOLD ONTO WHAT YOU HAVE NO MATTER HOW MUCH THEY RAISE THE PREMIUM!! $14,500 EVERY 3 WEEKS IS WHAT HERCEPTIN CAN COST OUT OF POCKET!

HOPE THIS HELPS!
Lani
Old 09-13-2005, 05:39 AM   #3
mts

I agree w/Lani that you should not attempt to switch carrier during an open "existing condition". You will not only lose your current ins, but will not be able to get anything else. I understand that by law (at least in Fla) if you have been NED for 3 years after initial diagnosis, you cannot be turned away for coverage.
I've posted before regarding the Herceptin vs Ins issue. Seems like different oncs charge different amounts regardless of method of payment. I had one onc want to charge $6000 per infusion. The new onc I have only charges the ins $2900 per infusion on the 3 week protocol. If you pay in cash, he charges less.
I can really understand your frustration... being freelance is tough! The only kind of business that will provide you with good medical insurance at this point would be a company that is self insured (generally large not-for-profit hospitals and gov't entities)...but you would have to work there!

Keep looking-
Maria