HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-31-2005, 08:19 PM   #1
*_Sandy H._*

I was asked today if I knew anyone who had this done and I had not. However, I did say that there were some on this site that have in the past. I am curioius if anyone is still on this site? If so would you please respond and let me know how long it has been. I know of someone who is thinking about having it done and if it is worth it. I think in her case it would only be for comfort reasons. I told her it probably would have to be her decision. Her doctor told her its only 60 to 90% successful which sounded good to me. Thanks in advance for your time. Hugs, Sandy
Old 07-31-2005, 09:12 PM   #2
karen w

Pardon my ignorance, but what is this procedure?

Thanks,
Karen
Old 08-01-2005, 05:46 AM   #3
*_Sandy H._*

I"m sorry I didn't explain it. It is when the lungs keep filling up with fluid and need to be drained. Then, this procedure can be done. They use a powder to coat the lungs to prevent fluid from building up. I don't know if this is done for any other reason. Hope this helps. Hugs, Sandy
Old 08-01-2005, 07:33 AM   #4
karen w

Thank you Sandy.

Karen
Old 08-02-2005, 05:38 AM   #5
madubois63

Sandy - I had a plural effusion last year. I ended up in the ER is horrible pain. I could not breath or even walk to the bathroom from my bed. I had thoracentesis (draining of the fluid) one year ago this month. The draining of the fluid was temporary relief. The labs came back inconclusive. The fluid came back (as did the pain) I was then scheduled for video assisted thoracoscopy surgery with pleurodesis in October. The thoracic surgeon went in with a camera and took some pretty full color picture of my lungs (I have copies if anyone wants to see). He then drained the fluid and sealed my lung with talc. The talc makes the lung adhere to the chest wall leaving no room for fluid to build up again. I spent a week in the hospital because it was a relapse. They put a port in me and I started chemo immediately. The thoracentesis was a Godsend for me! I was unable to shop, clean, cook...I have since painted my daughter's bedroom, sanded and painted my deck and I just got back from a cruise to Bermuda. My feet are killing me from all the walking I did. There is no way I could have even imagined doing this without the surgery. I highly recommend the surgery if your friend is suffering.

http://www.cancersupportivecare.com/pleural.html

http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/search?invoca...ery=pleurodesis

..·´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨)) -:¦:-
((¸¸.·´ ¸.·´ -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.Maryann -:¦:-´´

Stage IV Inflammatory BC 1/00
4 Adriomycin/Cytoxin - 4 Taxol
MRM 24nod/5+ Her2+
Tamoxifen - 4 1/2 years
Rads 32x
Mets to lung/liver/nodes 10/04
video-assisted thoracoscopy (VATS) surgery w/pleurodesis
Weekly Herceptin
Taxatiere Carboplaten 3 weeks on 1 week off
Daily Femera
Lupron every three months
4/26/05 NED - treatments continued so not to be under treated
Old 08-02-2005, 10:43 AM   #6
*_Cathy_*

Dear Maryann, What do you think caused the pleural effusion? Happy to hear you are doing so well- God Bless -Cathy
Old 08-02-2005, 03:37 PM   #7
madubois63

Cathy - In my case, there were several cancer lesions on the outer part of my right lung. I don't know exactly what makes the body create the fluid, maybe the body trying to attack the intruder or irritation. Kind of like when you get a blister and it fills up with fluid, but the fluid builds up between the lung and the chest wall. I am very happy I had the procedure done and highly recommend it if you are suffering, but I do suggest a pain killer when they pull the draining tubes out. My doctor was an excellent (thoracic) surgeon, but he had NO bedside manner or sympathy.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:44 AM   #8
*_Sandy H._*

Thanks Maryann. I will pass this info on to my friend. Sounds like you are doing well and its good you had it done. My friend is real bad several areas of extensive mets and is in bed now. She is in lots of pain. Thanks so much. hugs, Sandy
Old 08-03-2005, 07:08 AM   #9
madubois63

Sandy - Yes, I was in bed for many weeks prior to the procedure. At one point, I knew exactly how many steps from the car to the pharmacy. I had to make four stops before I got to the counter. It was really bad...hard to believe I am still here after that!!! Good luck and God bless to you and your friend. She can e-mail me privately if she has specific questions.

..·´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨)) -:¦:-
((¸¸.·´ ¸.·´ -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.Maryann -:¦:-´´
Old 08-03-2005, 10:36 AM   #10
Kristin

Hi Sandy

My mom just had this proceedure on Monday. She had 660cc of fluid in the sac around her heart and 1100cc in each lung drained by a surgeon. She is recovering well but needs to stay in the hospital until they remove the drainage tubes. She is sore but hopefully now from the talc in the lungs she will not ever have to do this again. My mom had fluid in her lungs about 2 years ago and it was not cancerous, however since it came back they decided to treat her with the talc anyway, before they new these new results. Please pray for us that there is no cancerous cell in either lung or heart fluid for her, thanks!!!!
As for the heart they did a "window" where they take a piece of the pericardium tissue and now fluid should never build up there again. The surgeon said everything looked good, no apparent evidence of mets but we still have to wait for cytology, fingers crossed!!!
The surgeon was amazed that with 3 liters of fluid she was still up and about with very little breathing problems, she is one tough cookie, boy do I look up to her!!!! Hope this info helps!!
Kristin