HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-14-2005, 10:01 AM   #1
Laurie S

I have gotten conflicting advice about whether to have my ovaries out, and am wondering what others have done. I am 37, er/pr- , her2+++, stage 2 , 2 nodes +. I have had a masectomy and plan on having another w/reconstruction in near future. I get my genetic test back next week. I don't see alot of benefit in having ovaries removed if both breasts are gone. I know that it would help prevent ovarian cancer, but does anyone know if it helps with prevention of breast cancer recurrence? I am done having children, so that is not an issue. I just don't know if I am ready for menopause yet!
thanks
Laurie
Old 07-14-2005, 12:52 PM   #2
Jean

Lauri,

I had my ovaries removed during my bilateral mastectomy surgery. I am er-, pr- and HER2+++. I have some family history of ovarian cancer so my doctor recommended this to reduce my risk of ovarian cancer.
I am 40 years old and menapause is harder at a younger age, but tolerable. Sometimes wish I had waited at least a few more years, but I would not have done it if I didn't do it right then.
My peace of mind about developing a second cancer in my ovaries has been tremendously improved so that is the plus side.

Jean
Old 07-14-2005, 05:49 PM   #3
*_tami_*

Hi Lauri -

Like you I am er-/pr- and recently asked my onc her thoughts on whether I should have my ovaries removed. She did not recommend it because I was er- and she didn't feel there was much proven benefit.

I am relieved that my period has returned and feel that after 6 months of chemo and 2 months of radiation and 10 months of herceptin that my body is finally bouncing back. I have 2 more herceptin treatments and then hopefully my port can be removed. Looking forward to my "new" normal life at age 45! I was dx'd 4/04, 1.4 cm, lumpectomy, her 2+++, 1 micro met to the sentinal node, ancillary disection, had 4 AC, 4 taxotere, 37 rads and herceptin for a year.

All the best in your decisions.

Tami
Old 07-14-2005, 07:20 PM   #4
SusanAnne

Hi Laurie,

I had my ovaries out 2 weeks ago. I am er- but pr+ so I am treated as hormone positive. I wanted to be on an aromatase inhibitor so instead of getting Lupron shots I went the route of ovary removal. I also had a family member who had ovarian cancer. My genetic testing was negative. I guess that would be the deciding factor in your case.

Susan
Old 07-16-2005, 03:16 PM   #5
Gina Popp

Of course it is up to you, but I am ER-/PR - Her-2 +++ and think it is important to keep the ovaries as there is an inverse relationship between estrogen and her-2, meaning that when the estrogen is at a certain level, the her-2 is curtailed..., but when the estrogen drops (as in the week before your period--a high time of cancer growth for pre-menopausal women), the her-2 is high. I chose to keep my ovaries and that was 8 years ago--I still have my periods and an amazing QOL, but I am very concerned about what will happen when I go through menopause... It is a tough decision, but if I were you, I'd keep them in. However, as I posted earlier, if you take continued dosing of Herceptin as I do, please monitor your CA 125 and scan the pelvic area at least once a year, and more often if the CA 125 rises above 100. Best of luck to you.