HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-02-2005, 11:23 PM   #1
*_Shannon_*

Good Evening Ladies and Happy Holiday!!!

I am on dose number three of weekly herceptin... I am doing the weekly doses, as this is what my clinical trial calls for.

Since begining Herceptin, there have been a couple of things that have come up, now whether they are realted... that seems to be the question.

One, I have horrible insomina... could this be herceptin or Co Q10 or both?

Two, food seems to "run" through me. There has been no solid stuff coming out of me since I got on this drug... Diet hasnt changed... UGH.. I am now begining Imodium to see if I can get a handle on it, then I go back to the Doctor, for something more...

And Lastly..... When I was on Taxol, the Wednesday following treatment my bones in my legs would ache like mad... is this my mind playing tricks on me, since on Wednesdays... I again, have the aches.

Herceptin doesnt seem to be labeled as side effect riddin as the chemo last year.

Is it me????

Thank you in advance to anyone going through herceptin and have any or no side effects...

Shannon
Old 07-03-2005, 04:37 PM   #2
al from canada

Hi Shannon,

My Linda also has bone pain and we havn't narrowed it down so the herceptin may be a contributing factor. As far as the insomnia, CoQ10 will cause insomnia if taken too late in the day or if the doseage is too high. I don't know about the other.

Regards,
Al
Old 07-04-2005, 05:09 AM   #3
matina

I am on weekly Herceptin too. I also have insomnia for the first 2 days, but I think it's because of the steroids.
I was so relieved to hear there is someone else who has experienced bone ache with Herceptin. The pain was mild, but still, it freaked me out (I was scared of mets)! I forgot to mention that I didn't have Taxol.
Did anyone experience low white blood cells with Herceptin? I did. Is this normal?

Matina
Old 07-04-2005, 11:00 AM   #4
Barbara

matina:

I finished chemo A/C & T last May 26th but my while counts have never gotten higher that 4.9. (Range 3.3-4.9) I was 7.6 before chemo. I thought it was the original chemo but I have been on Herceptin since June 2004. How low is your white count? I also have a lower hemoglobin and hematocrit then I did before chemo (Hemoglobin Range 11.7 - 12.7) I use to be 13.7 before chemo. I have often wondered if it could be the Herceptin. I am starting my second year of Herceptin this month and I am stage 2B. Thanks for any information you may have.

Barbara
Old 07-04-2005, 03:11 PM   #5
Barbara2

Food does not run through me, but the consistancy is definately much softer. I used to be the opposite of this before starting Herceptin.

But not complaining in the least...very thankful for Herceptin.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:40 AM   #6
*_Lisa_*

I have the same side effects, however I put them down to other things besides the Herceptin. The insomnia, I feel is due to going through menopause, so I have now resorted to sleeping tablets. Better than my son having a grumpy mother all day due to lack of sleep!!

Food also runs through me, however this has been happening since the Taxol, so I don't really worry about it.

And yes, my bones also ache. I had a bone scan as I was terrified of mets, but it was all clear. I was told it was the Taxol.

Here's a new one for you. Tinnitis. Very bad ringing in my ears, that also accompanied headaches. MRI showed everything normal, luckily. Again, I was told it was a side effect of the Taxol, not Herceptin.

I have liver mets, and am just finishing my 1st year of Herceptin. I am in Australia, and am not part of a trial. As my cancer has advanced, I receive Herceptin through my insurance company. I receive my treatment fortnightly.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:25 AM   #7
Becky

I also just had my third weekly Herceptin. I had trouble sleeping after the first dose (the double starter) and alittle bit the second dose. Didn't this time. I have had trouble with my legs since Taxol (last dose was Feb 1). The more I exercise (mostly brisk walking), the better off I seem to be.

Some of my sleeplessness is due to the night sweats from Arimidex (that was started in April after rads were over).

No diarrhea (almost the opposite even though I eat a high fiber/plant based diet.

Best regards,
Becky
Old 07-06-2005, 03:34 AM   #8
Jan

I had diarhea every time in the beginning but after a couple of months it went away. Always have headaches and a little nausea and runny nose.
My joints ache but I also have M.S. and R.A. so I'm not sure what it's from.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:11 AM   #9

Barbara:

I am Stage I (1,5cm IDC, no nodes, ER+/PR-, Her2+++). I had 4 rounds of EC (Should have had 6). I had to stop chemo, as I had severe side-effects. I started radiation (which I finished yesterday). I also changed my oncologist. The new one suggested I should have Herceptin during radiation & when it's over, to continue chemo with Taxol & Herceptin. That's what I will do. Before starting Herceptin, my white cells were 6.1( I was around 8 before the surgery & chemo). Now they are 3.9. My radiation doctor says that radiation has nothing to do with it.
Before Herceptin, my hematocrit was above 12. Now it's 11.6.

Matina