HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-18-2005, 01:53 PM   #1
*_Shannon_*

Good Morning Ladies!

Thank you for guiding me on the right track with the CO Q10. But... when I began chemo last year with the AC I had a headache for about three days after the first transfusion, it was then found that my pre meds needed to be adjusted.

Yesterday I got my first round of Herceptin, during the transfusion, the headache began, and I think I am taking tylenol every few hours. It is only day two, but wow... I hate this part.

Is this a normal thing? I think this drug is great, but I want the quality of life at the same time...

There was talk (Im in a clinical Trial) that you can have a pre-load of something with the herceptin, i cant recall what they were saying it was.. is anyone else getting something other then the straight herceptin. I completed my AC / Taxol Chemo last year.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.....

Shan
Old 06-18-2005, 03:41 PM   #2
Becky

I also had my first Herceptin yesterday. Finished chemo 4 months ago and could take advantage of the trial results and being less than 6 months out. I got 25 mg of benadryl and 2 regular strength tylenol before infusion. I felt great yesterday but today I have a headache, I'm tired and feel "nasally" (maybe sinus type congestion). Not horrorifying - even took my 3.5 mile walk anyway. Not much appetite but no nausea.

I took 2 extra strength tylenol but it did not help. I'll let you know how long it lasts (I am on the weekly infusion so I got 4 mg yesterday since it was my first).

Enjoy the rest of the weekend and Happy Father's Day to your men.

Becky
Old 06-18-2005, 06:22 PM   #3
dberg

Becky and Shannon,
I had my first "late" herceptin infusion 2 weeks ago. I was given benadryl (pills) and Tylenol prior to the infusion. I had a mild headache for a few days too. I took aspirin, but it didn't really interfere with my day. I am not a headache type of person, so I'm hoping it was just the loading dose that did it to me.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:37 PM   #4
al from canada

Hi Ladies,
Pre-meds with herceptin is news to me! Why would you need it other than to get an "anti-histamine headache" from the benedryl?
Cut the pre-meds and you'll probably feel better.
Good luck,
Al
Old 06-18-2005, 06:48 PM   #5
imported_Joe

Al,

Premeds are usually only given the first 1 or 2 times when receiving Herceptin. There is no reason to continue it on a permanent basis.

Regards
Joe
Old 06-18-2005, 07:14 PM   #6
al from canada

Hi Joe,
That's news to me, probably one of our cultural differences. What they did do was on her first "loading dose" they kept Linda in for an extra hour with fluids IV, to watch for side effects.
Al
Old 06-19-2005, 06:08 AM   #7
*_Cathy_*

Hello to All and Happy Father's Day to the Guys- This is my seventh week on herceptin. They gave me benadryl the first time and 2 tylenol. I was flushed that night and took 2 more tylenol. The second week, I also took tylenol one hour before the herceptin. The third week, I took nothing and three days later I had severe pain in the right side of my head. It would come and go throughout the day and the next day. - Just for a few seconds at once. Since then I just take tylenol before the herceptin and haven't gotten any more pain. God Bless- Cathy
Old 06-20-2005, 12:48 PM   #8
Esther

Wow, this is an interesting thread. I had a 3 wk dose of herceptin infused on Monday the 13th, and had a weird reaction to it. By Wed I was feeling heachy, and had a kind of migraine for 2-3 days.

I don't usually get migraines, and I have been on herceptin for about 18 months, so I didn't think they were connected. But I also have a sinus connection as well, with pressure in my sinus's.

I'll mention it to my onc.

Now I'm wondering....I'm set to get my next dose of Herceptin on Friday July 1st, and we fly out the next day to New Orleans for our cruise. I may look into getting that changed.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:25 PM   #9
*_sally_*

I received benadryl the first time. They always give me 2 tylenol before treatment. It's been 1 year this month. Every three weeks. Sally
Old 06-23-2005, 03:15 PM   #10
Tuesday

I'm having my second (q 3 wks) Herceptrin infusion this afternoon.

After the first, I felt great that evening, and completely collapsed the next day. I ached everywhere, and hardly had energy to go to the bathroom. I take care of my 2-year-old grandson (what a blessing!) while my daughter's at school, and I was too sick to get up and call her to ask her to come home early. The second day I felt kinda crummy, but not nearly as bad, and the third I was fine.

Today are her final finals for the semester, so if I'm sick tommorow it'll be no problem, but I have read that it's usually only the first dose that causes problems. I hope so.

Tuesday
Old 06-23-2005, 05:51 PM   #11
Margo

Tylenol by mouth, and Benadryl via port every week prior to Herceptin. This is the standard protocol at the Weinberg Center.