HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-21-2005, 06:12 PM   #1
al from canada

I was wondering if there is a correlation between brain mets (or the lack there-of) and hormonal therapy. We all know that herceptin does impact brain mets but what about hormonals? Comments from the "brain met gals" appreciated.
Al
Old 01-22-2005, 07:11 AM   #2
*_Annemarie_*

I had brain mets 3x and NED elsewhere (unusual). Since I had a craniotomy my Dr. said that the bbb has been broken and Herception may work. Herception does not cross the bbb. I take Hercetion in hopes that no more cancer cells will travel to my brain. I also take Femara and Lupron with that same theory in mind.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:05 AM   #3
Patty D

I have brain mets since Aug 2003- I had WBR and cyberknife. I was on Decadron until about a month ago . I get weekly infusions of Herceptin also- it does not have effect on the brain but I have had mets to lung (cleared) and bones (active) . As far as I know and I may be very wrong- there are no treatments availalbe for brain mets other than stereotactic or WBR. Patty D
Old 01-22-2005, 11:36 AM   #4
Jackie

I was treated with hormonal therapy unsuccessfully before and after my recurrence to bones in 2002. We tried 3 different hormonal drugs before moving on to chemo + herceptin in summer of 2003. Brain mets appeared in spring 2004, so I don't know how much impact I think that herceptin had on the brain.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:55 PM   #5
StephN

Hi Al -
Since I was 50 at DX, was already sailing through menopause with barely a sypmtom (thought I was getting off EASY - HA!).

So, nothing to add about hormonals, since I am hormone neg/neg.
Except, I do know of one brain met patient older than I who did have to take something, but forgot which one as she passed on due to causes other than her cancer last year (she was in absolutely incredible INFLAMMATORY BC survivor of over 7 years!).

I am answering your post to me about my Gamma Knife "journal" lower down. Talked to Joe already.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 06:56 PM   #6
*_Annemarie_*

I tried Temodar which they have great success with for brain cancer. The data for brain mets showed that pts. lived 90 days longer than the placebo arm.