HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-06-2004, 12:18 PM   #1
Terry

October 2002 Stage IIB, 1/10 lymph nodes, ER/PR+, HER2+. Am now on Herceptin Trial for early stage bc. So far, so good. Turning 47 next week--and I feel so fortunate!

Since diagnosed, I have been doing research on nutrition, foods, etc., and firmly believe that diet and environment have a very direct impact on this disease along with our genes. Prior to being diagnosed, I ate fairly healthy meals and exercised regularly for years. On the other hand, my sweet sister (who is a couple of years older), is overweight, does not eat all that well (a lot of meat, etc.), has never exercised and drinks more than the average person. She has the genes from my mothers side of the family (same body makeup, etc.) and is doing fine. My grandmother (on my fathers side of the family) died of colon cancer at 90, my father of prostate cancer at 60 and me with breast cancer. I could be a twin of my grandmother when she was my age and also look identical to my father. Sounds like genes to me. But in any event, I am still striving to eat even healthier than before. I am going to beat this.