HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-09-2004, 03:28 PM   #1
JoJo

Have you ever read any of Lance Armstrong's 2 books? He's a testicular cancer survivor (stage 4 spread to lungs & brain, then to NED after chemo, 7 years out) In case you don't know, he's an american cyclist (won tour of france race).

If you did read, what did you make of his mentality? Did you really believe he's that mentally tough?

Came across an old videotape of his TV interview (last year, I think) and in it, he declared that the 1st week after dx, he slept like a log -- didn't get to use sleep pills at all! Possible??? Or was he being dishonest?

I, for one, I wasn't able to sleep, just too anxious & very shocked! Eventually, I weaned off while I was in the midst of chemo. It was challenging, but I did it. Then unfortunately, I went back on it, after I was pushed into permanent menopause. (I'm 35) Dang that insomnia! Ha So, I will try to quit after my body gets adjusted to femara in weeks or a few months.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:28 AM   #2
Leigh

Hi, i recently purchased the two copies that you speak about but haven't finished them yet.I must say though that i also sleep lots when i'm under stress.It seems to be my way of escaping, i haven't once needed pills to sleep.In fact i find it hard to stay awake.
Best wishes and cuddles.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:47 AM   #3
anonymous

I just have to get this off my chest. Like everyone else, I was excited to read Lance Armstrong's book and came away with a feeling that he was a true champion for cancer patients. So when he had a charity function in our city, my son elected to participate. He raised a lot of money and we looked forward to both his speech and what was supposed to have been his participation in this event.
His speech was less than 5 minutes, obviously rehashed from prior speeches, very insincere and had no passion in it whatsoever. The only time he really seemed to get into things was when the press showed up to take pictures. His supposed participation in this long bicycle ride amounted to about 20 minutes once again only when the press was there taking pictures. Once the press left, he abandoned the riders.
His speech at the end was almost word for word the same as the beginning, a very bland promotion for clinical trials. And the entire amount of money raised went NOT as it was billed to assist patients in clinical trials, but as an unrestricted administrative grant to a hospital in deep financial trouble. We really felt misled and he really did not seem interested in being there.
Later, we found out that for his participation in this event, he was given $2,000,000 from the drug company that sponsored it.

I just don't look at him the same way anymore. I did not get the feeling that he really cared about cancer patients but the paycheck was worth the appearance.

Sorry to burst the bubble but I wish someone had told me before we participated.