HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-17-2004, 08:12 PM   #1
lindaw

Dear all
At the same time as breast cancer I have also experienced continual skin cancer removals(pale irish skin, growing up in Perth , Western Australia - beach culture and many sunburns). I have had various growths removed and have just been given a treatment of cream for home called Efudix. When I read the pamphlet I find it is known as 5 - fluorouracil - which ids the same name for Xeloda isn't it? ( the next chemo I may try). Would it be effective as an external treatment to skin mets if it is used internally. It is a cream which you apply 2ce a day for ten days and makes the areas red and sore and then improve. i am going to ask the onc but wondered if anyone else knows of this.

Thanks
love
lindaw
Old 04-18-2004, 03:12 AM   #2
Linda in Calif

Hi Linda: You sound just like me...I've fought skin cancer since I was in my early 30's. I am very fair, blonde, blue eyed, freckles and grew up in the Tropics {Florida, USA) and was a "Tomboy" so spent most of my time outside and at the beach. Got LOTS of sunburns. Anyway, I have used Efudex a couple of times on my face. Because the sun damage was so extensive and I had tons of pre-cancer skin most of my face reacted to it. I looked terrible...most of my face was covered in scabs. It was pretty painful but I took Ibuprofin and the Drs. will give you a cream to calm things down at the end of your treatment. Once you heal from the treatment your skin will be in much better shape. (It's kind of like a mini face peel.) Also, if you have any Basal Cell cancers on your face, there is a new cream that the dermatologists are using here in the States to get rid of it instead of using surgical removal to cut them out. The name is ALDARA manufactured by 3M Pharmaceuticals. It is an Imiquimod Cream. Originally it was developed for use on Human Papillomavirus Infection (HPV). I don't know exactly how it works but it DOES work and I have been able to avoid unsightly scars on my face by using it. It doesn't seem right that we have to fight this kind of cancer, too. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any further questions. Take Care, Linda