HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-04-2004, 12:35 AM   #1
Ron

Rose,

Thank you for such a detailed response. We have appointments with the neuro-surgeon who does the Cyber and Gamma treatments in Dallas for Monday June 7. This is for consultation only, then Cyndi’s radiation oncologist in Amarillo for the next Monday June 14. I intend to ask about the RSR-13 with both of these doctors, I only hope it will be available this soon.

This has been the wonderful part of this board, not necessarily that we know exactly what our treatment should be, but that we are better prepared to ask intelligent questions and make the doctors evaluate their recommendations. We are our best advocates, I use ‘we‘ because this disease affects not only Cyndi but me as well. And, I do realize there is a difference.

Thanks Again,
God Bless You,
ron
Old 09-25-2004, 03:30 AM   #2
Ruth

Rose, I couldn't agree more...did not enjoy looking at that. However, that was an old study it doesn't say anything about what kind of chemotherapy (if any) the patients received. It didn't really say anything useful at all. These are just numbers, statistics - truly meaningless when it comes to an individual because every single person on this great earth is unigue.

Everything else I have read and been told comes nowhere near that negative of a number. I have heard over and over from people to not research too much on the internet because you will find things that are exactly what you shouldn't. I believe you could even google a question like "Will everyone who has cancer will die of it" and get a "yes" and then for "Can you be cured 100% of cancer?" and get a yes too. You will see the worst case scenarios & hype on cures that are unproven and unreliable. I take comfort in what my Dr. has told me that if I had a good chance of making it and he said "absolutely." These studies are outdated and have no true meaning today other than what types of treatment could possibly best serve each individual person. Cancer therapy has changed dramatically in the last five years. Many of these studies are way older than that.
Don't get discouraged. I think I am just not going to read things like prognosis etc anymore because it doesn't serve me in any possible positive way. I don't need the negativity!

Old 09-25-2004, 11:34 AM   #3
Rozebud

You are so right Ruth. I didn't even see a citation or date on that article....which is why I was confused. I'm going to just ignore it .