HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-02-2004, 12:12 AM   #1
Janelle

What time zone is the board on.... if that makes any sense? It is now 10:12 a.m. on 2/2 here in Michigan (EST). When I see a post from me it is usually listed at a different time... just checking to see what this one will show..
Old 10-19-2004, 10:47 AM   #2
Sandy H.

Has anyone with IBC had only a single mastectomy? If so have you remained cancer free in the other breast? There is a lady who is trying to decide if she should have a double mastectomy. Her oncologist and surgeon say no. She is confused as to what to do. Hugs, Sandy
Old 10-19-2004, 11:47 AM   #3
Annemarie

I opted to have a double but I know the data does not really show that it happens in both breasts. It is unusual and with monitoring probably not necessary. I choose it because I need a lift on the opposite breast and they no longer matched. Now I have two implants which looks really good. For me being 32 at the time of diagnosis it is and was very important the way I look without clothes on. This however is not a concern for some.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:26 PM   #4
Kristen

Is IBC, Invasive or Inflammatory? My radiation onc told me that having a reocurrance rarely happens in the other breast, that being I had invasive. So if it's inflammatory, I don't know. I would agree with Annemarie. take care K
Old 10-19-2004, 10:40 PM   #5
Sandy H.

Guess, I am a rare one because I was told my risk is very high for it to go to other breast. This IBC does not show on any testing including mammagrams. That may have changed since my diagnose. IBC is always Inflammatory not Invasive. Invasive has a D some where in it for ductal. I have known several people who had the other breast remove for cancer later on. Looks like its up to the person and life is always a challenge. The age does make a big difference for some the younger the more one would want to preserve as much as possible. Thanks for the reply. Hugs, Sandy
Old 10-19-2004, 11:20 PM   #6
Pam P

I have IBC. I had only a single mastectomy. I was dx in 6/01, so far no cancer in the other breast. I do have bone mets, but having a double mast. wouldn't have prevented that, of course. From diagnosis to surgery (3 days) I wasn't given much time to think about options, but it was never suggested that I do a double. In retrospect, I would do a double, only for "convenience & balance". I choose not to do more recon surgery & so wear a prothesis which is great, but if I'd have a double, I could sometimes go braless witha big shirt, etc, I would like that freedom from wearing a bra. (Going without with only one breast is hard to manage.)
Old 10-20-2004, 10:58 AM   #7
Sandy H.

Hello Pam: What were your symptoms when diagnosed? What have you had for chemo since then? That is great that you only have bone mets. It is so good to hear from others. Hugs, Sandy
Old 10-21-2004, 03:01 AM   #8
Pam P

Sandy -- My cancer was found on a mammogram. I did have symptoms, but didn't recognize them - no "lump" felt, but heaviness in breast & skin changes. Chemos I've been on: A/C, Taxol after initial diagnosis. With bone mets - taxotere for 6 months, now navelbine. I also have herceptin & zometa. Pam