HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-25-2004, 09:46 AM   #1
Sandy H.

Does anyone have any suggestions for chemo mouth or that is what I call it. The nurses say its metallic taste but I can't explain it. It takes away the appetite and makes me nausated from certain smells. I have 3 more weekly treatments to go of Herceptin, Taxol and carboplatin. Drinking more water does help but don't want to drown!! I don't think there is anything I can do about it but thought I would ask. I am sure this has been mentioned here before. Hugs, Sandy
Old 10-25-2004, 10:55 AM   #2
Lyn

Hi Sandy, how many have you had, I have had 22 now and I never seem to be able to quench my thirst, sucking peppermints does help but some times, like this round I get ulcers on the side of my tongue always in the same place. and you can bet your life if I chew gum I end up biting my tongue and that is painful. So I too will be interested in any suggestions.

Love & hugs Lyn
Old 10-25-2004, 12:43 PM   #3
Kristen

Sandy, Oh darn chemo brain, I want to say it is something depleted in your diet. I had it and I know it would go away if I ate or drank something.
I will be up all night trying to remember. My best friend is a dentist and I would call her now but it's to late, hopefully I can get her on the phone tomorrow and ask her what she told me to do. I don't think it was OJ to acidic. Man I am drawing a blank. Sorry. take care k
Old 10-26-2004, 05:56 AM   #4
Peggy

I found that brushing my teeth (and tongue) gave me some temporary relief.

Peggy
Old 10-26-2004, 07:33 AM   #5
Sandy H.

I have had 9 treatments of weekly Herceptin, Taxol and carboplatin. I have 3 more to complete the 2 cycles. I have had this treatment before and got the same chemo mouth so I am sure that it is from the carboplatin. I was interested to see what others had to say. Always good to hear from others. Hugs, Sandy
Old 10-26-2004, 09:37 AM   #6
PatS

Hi Sandy - A friend of mine who used to work in an oncologists office said Jolly Rancher hard candies helped take away the metallic taste. I never had that though so don't know if it really works.

Pat