HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-15-2010, 07:03 AM   #1
Lani

breast inflammation via NFK beta may be key to BC initiation and progression

Max Wicha has been saying this for years. Here it is shown in a mice model
(not yet in people, but I think some neoadjuvant studies may be possible to prove/disprove it)

There are compounds which already have FDA approval or need none which decrease nFKbeta or its activation.

Breast inflammation is key to cancer growth, Kimmel Cancer Center researchers say

Their animal study is the first to show that shutting down breast inflammation stops cancer onset and progression

PHILADELPHIA – It took 12 years and a creation of a highly sophisticated transgenic mouse, but researchers at Kimmel Cancer Center at Jefferson have finally proven a long suspected theory: Inflammation in the breast is key to the development and progression of breast cancer.

In the December 15 issue of Cancer Research, the scientists say they can now definitively show that an inflammatory process within the breast itself promotes growth of breast cancer stem cells responsible for tumor development.

They also demonstrate that inactivating this inflammation selectively within the breast reduced activity of these stem cells, and stopped breast cancer from forming.

"These studies show for the first time that inactivating the NFKB inflammatory pathway in the breast epithelium blocks the onset and progression of breast cancer in living animals," says Richard G. Pestell, M.D., Ph.D., Director, Kimmel Cancer Center and Chairman of Cancer Biology.

"This finding has clinical implications," says co-author Michael Lisanti, Leader of the Program in Molecular Biology and Genetics of Cancer at Jefferson. "Suppressing the whole body's inflammatory process has side effects. These studies provide the rationale for more selective anti-inflammatory therapy directed just to the breast."

Dr. Pestell and his colleagues show the "canonical" NFKB pathway promotes breast cancer development: the first "insult" is provided by the HER2 oncogene, which then activates NFKB (nuclear factor kappa-light-chain-enhancer of activated B cells). NFKB turns on inflammation via tumor-associated macrophages (TAM), which produce tumor growth promoting factors.

Although inflammation, mediated by NFKB, has long been thought to be important in breast cancer development, the theory had been untestable because NF-κB is essential to embryonic development, Dr. Pestell says. "When you try to knock out NFKB genes in mice, they die."

He addressed this problem by creating a mouse in which the inflammatory system within the adult animal's normal breast could be regulated. This allows selective inactivation of NFKB in different cell types and took 12 years to accomplish, Dr. Pestell says. "These mice have five co-integrated transgenes."

The mice are programmed to develop breast cancer, but the researchers found that if they selectively blocked inflammation just in the breast, tumors would not develop. "This is a very novel finding," Dr. Pestell says.

They then demonstrated that this inactivation also reduced the number of cancer stem cells in the breast. "That told us that inflammation, through the action of NF-κB, is important to the growth and activity of cancer stem cells," Dr. Pestell says. "The transgenic mice are a new technology that can be used by the scientists and the pharmaceutical industry to understand the role of NFKB in different diseases including heart disease, neurodegeneration and other cancers."

###
The study was funded by support from the National Institutes of Health, the Dr. Ralph and Marian C. Falk Medical Research Trust, and a grant from the Pennsylvania Department of Health.

Researchers from the Nigata University of Pharmacy and Applied Life Sciences in Japan, the National Cancer Institute, the University of Western Australia, and the Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center at Georgetown University Medical School contributed to the study.

The authors declare no conflicts of interest.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:04 AM   #2
Hopeful

Re: breast inflammation via NFK beta may be key to BC initiation and progression

Quote:
researchers at Kimmel Cancer Center at Jefferson have finally proven a long suspected theory: Inflammation in the breast is key to the development and progression of breast cancer.
There is also an abstract (and possibly poster) from SABCS that shows that a history of benign breast biopsies is a risk factor for bc. It is logical to me that repeated biopsies cause inflammation which later causes bc. This is the negative side of the screening controversy that no one talks about - not just that screening may result in unnecessary biopsies, but that unnecessary biopsies may result in cancer.

Hopeful

Last edited by Hopeful; 12-15-2010 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: typo
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
Ellie F

Re: breast inflammation via NFK beta may be key to BC initiation and progression

Lani and Hopeful
Many thanks for posting. I know a number of respected cancer biologists here in England feel this was important.
Could you tell me what meds are approved in America already that may be effective?
Many thanks
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
Mary L

That was very interesting. I went through alot of biopsys from the time I was 27. Then I end up years later with Inflammatory Breast Cancer. Mary L
Mary L from PA Diag: Oct 2003 w/6mm mass, IDC grade III ductal carcinoma in-situ, IBC stage IIIB. tx A/C followed by Taxotere(only able to have 2 tx, allergic), mastectomy, 3 0ut of 7 positive nodes. 35 rads. Recurrence 9 months later, skin mets to mastectomy site. Tx Carboplatin/Herceptin. Stayed on Herceptin almost 5 years, had 3 more recurrences when I had to stop Herceptin due to my ejection fraction getting too low. Herceptin stopped and ned 3 years in Oct. 2010.
Mary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
NanaJoni

Very interesting study results. I've had many needle biopsies to check out cysts over the last 30 years. Three years ago the doctor who read my mammogram refused to do a biopsy even after I asked her to - I was so worried about it being cancer. Now I know why and am guessing that the inflammation connection to BC is being accepted by the medical professionals. And I also find it interesting that the two tumors I developed are exactly in the area where most of the cycts and biopsies were.
3/24/10:sent.node biopsy clear
3/31/10:bi-lateral mx.;atypical ductal hyperplasia-lft side
4/21/10:wound revision-infection/scarring 4/28/10:seromas both sides
5/21/10:port installed,TCH chemo (6 x 3 wks); Herc,-1yr; 33 rad tx after chemo
07/2010: port not working-2nd port didnt'work;3rd port opposite side.
07/2010: 2 weeks after 3rd port surgery, threw 3 pulm. emboli-IVC filter installed; warfarin
08/2010: hospitalizations w/3 of chemos; decision to stop after 4th-on to radiation in Oct 2010;Herc cont.
12/03/2010 - finished 33 rads Hooray!! cont. Herc. every 3 wks
4/2011 - pneumonia ??? Nope-radiation pneumonitis. No more Herc.
5/2011 - NED!!! port out.
8/2011 - clean PET & CT scans.Still NED
7/2012 - Still NED/very blessed.
2/2013 - 6 mos checkup-all clear. CA2729 down frm 13 to 11.
NanaJoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:26 PM   #6
bejuce

Very interesting indeed. I now have more of a suspicion that my cancer started as a result of an inflammatory process developed during my breastfeeding years.

Thanks for posting, I will follow this one closely.

Marcia

Diagnosed on 02/18/09 at 38 with a huge 12x10 cm tumor, after a 6 month delay. Told I was too young and had no risk factors. Found swollen node during breastfeeding.
March-August 09: neo-adjuvant chemo, part of a trial at Stanford (4 DD A/C, 4 Taxotere with daily Tykerb), loading dose of Herceptin
08/12/09 - bye bye boobies (bilateral mastectomy)
08/24/09 - path report shows 100 % success in breast tissue (no cancer there, yay!), 98 % success in lymphatic invasion, and even though 11/13 nodes were still positive, > 95 % of the tumor in them was killed. Hoping for the best!
September-October 09: rads with daily Xeloda
02/25/10 - Cholecystectomy
05/27/10 - Bone scan clear
06/14/10 - CT scan clear, ovarian cyst found
07/27/10 - Done with Herceptin!
02/15/11 - MVA-BN HER-2 vaccine trial
03/15/11 - First CA 15-3: 12.7 and normal, yay!
10/01/11 - Bone scan and CT scan clear, fatty liver found
now on Tamoxifen and Aspirin

bejuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:32 AM   #7
Ellie F

Forgot to add I had severe mastitis 18 months before diagnosis! i now recognise how important a sign that was!

Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote