HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Diet and Nutrition
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Diet and Nutrition By popular demand our nutritional message board. This board will be monitored by a Registered RD who is certified in oncology by the American Dietetic Association

Old 09-25-2009, 12:29 AM   #1
harrie

Re: Breast cancer, and seeking advice

AlaskaAngel,
I honestly feel exercising an hr a day for a 57 yr old person, who is in good health, is reasonable. Of course you need to know what your capabilities are and work up to it if it is something you are not use to. But to me it is a great goal. Be smart about what exercises you do though so you do not get hurt.

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
AlaskaAngel

Hi Harrie,

What good are we for each other if we can't be honest. I appreciate your feedback.

For months I have been doing 30 minutes a day of jumping rope, 7 days a week, along with dieting, with no weight loss at all, and my reward for all that effort has been.... no further weight gain. So the problem for me has been, how do I avoid weight gain if I have a day whenever I am, for example, traveling, or have to be dressed up (and so can't sweat)?

What I have done was to put on tennis shoes and jump rope for 30 minutes in ferry terminals, or anywhere else I happened to be, while keeping my eye on my luggage.... the only other solution has been to cut the diet down to 500 calories on any day when I am traveling or sick or happen to be in medical appointments all day long. I know that 500 calories a day is an unhealthy diet. I can't honestly say that I would think living like that is a realistic choice that I would recommend to anyone.

But if I don't, I put on weight.

So yes, the other alternative is to make sure that I jump rope for 1/2 hour a day (and sweat) whether I am in a ferry terminal or a hospital, or wherever I am, no matter how I might be dressed.... And that still means no weight loss at all.

I thought I was doing exercise that was safe. But several weeks ago I woke up with a back problem from doing this that has taken several weeks to heal, and I am now trying to see if I can work my way back up gradually from 10 minutes of jumping rope a day to at least 20 or 30. In the meantime, what choices would you recommend that I make about diet so that I don't gain weight?

Again, I am asking for very truthful help with what I'm trying to do. Do you personally exercise every day 7 days a week for a full hour without any exceptions? Are you over 55 years of age?

Thanks for thinking about this with me.

A.A.
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:18 PM   #3

Try interval training. Keeping the pace and amount of exercise the same allows the body to adjust and you don't get additional weight loss. You need to mix it up. Consult a trainer and they can set up a program for you. It's worth the fee.

Sue
Old 09-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #4
TanyaRD

AA- Sorry for my slow response. It looks like you have had some good conversation here. Weight gain is frequently one of the frustrating, negative side effects women experience after a diagnosis of breast cancer. It is often difficult to lose the weight gained too. From the information you provided, I might agree that it is possible you are eating too little (500-1200 cals/day) especially if you eat the bulk of your calories in the morning. We know the body does best with a more consistent input of calories. When talking about recurrence, I often refer to the WINS trial which found that woman who follow a very low fat diet (15-20% cals from fat) had a significantly lower risk of recurrence. Now that doesn't mean one can eat all the fat free cookies desired and not worry as calories are still important. Staying above 1200 calories per day will allow you to receive adequate vitamins, like calcium, protein and adequate energy. You may need more based on height and weight. The important thing will be eating regularly and maintaining physical activity. It sounds like you are working very hard and should be applauded for your efforts.
TanyaRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:06 AM   #5
AlaskaAngel

diet and exercise

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for not responding sooner! I had my annual physical Monday at the same time my work exploded (naturally).

All of this has made me very curious to actually test out some of the different suggestions everyone has offered me here. I stopped at the fitness center and picked up their flyer, and talked with the rather nice and enthusiastic young man there who is being trained by his mother (who is the trainer) to be a trainer himself.

All test results came back fine and my physical exam went well. I had a great discussion with the NP, who agrees that trying to limit inflammation is meaningful, by exercise and diet. Having had no provider until now who has been interested in that, I'm glad to make that connection here. I'm cleared to exercise, although limited in that I still can't jump rope as much as before and I can't use the rowing machine I do have at home just yet.

I was disappointed that the report the RD at the Seattle cancer center provides to my NP was not available to discuss. I had hoped to bring back any comments with the NP about it to you all.

The NP also knew about another trainer here, so I'm hoping to check that out. I'm not interested in working out with machines at the center. I honestly cannot figure out how to think of that as not being entirely a form of punishment. Even doing exercises at home is a form of repetitive captivity to count exercises until done for the day. But the trainer I talked with is willing to evaluate me and then give me a few routines to do at home with simple exercise equipment, that I can mix with walking.

Since our private road is fine for walking and driving here for another month, I have decided to commit to doing an hour of exercise daily 7 days a week for the month of October, along with increasing my total calories. A full month should give me clear proof of weight loss, or not, with the extra consistent effort. IF the theory works and there is actual weight loss, then hopefully the trainer will help with exercise I can do at home to continue in November without having to walk or drive once our road is icy and slick.

If adding consistent daily exercise and more calories doesn't work we will find that out. I am also willing to see if Weightwatchers works, as I have never tried that.

I have arranged to be weighed on the same scale by the NP at the end of October, wearing the same clothes and shoes that I wore to see her.

A.A.
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:35 AM   #6
TanyaRD

Re: diet and exercise

Sounds like a wonderful plan. Keep us posted on your progress.
TanyaRD is offline   Reply With Quote