HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-26-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
Lani

anastrazole associated with increased body weight without increased food intake...

in rats! other side effect was osteoporosis, but prevented uterine cancer.(anastrazole is an AI)

Neoplasma. 2009;56(2):124-9.

Side effects of anastrozole in the experimental pre-menopausal mammary carcinogenesis.

Sadlonova V, Kubatka P, Kajo K, Ostatnikova D, Nosalova G, Adamicova K, Sadlonova J.
The aim of this study was to assess side effects of aromatase inhibitor anastrozole in the prevention of N-methyl-N-nitrosourea - induced pre-menopausal mammary carcinogenesis in female Sprague-Dawley rats. This model mimicked situation in healthy, but from the point of view of the development of breast cancer, high-risk pre-menopausal women. <p align="justify">Aromatase inhibitor anastrozole was used as a chemopreventive agent taken by the animals in the food during the whole period of time of the experiment. Group 1 - the control group had taken food without anastrozole, the groups 2 and 3 with anastrozole in various concentrations - 0.05 mg/1 kg of food (ANA 0.05) and 0.5 mg/1 kg of food (ANA 0.5). </p><p align="justify">In anastrozole-treated animals in comparison with untreated animals, macroscopic changes of uterus and vagina were not found. The values of absolute and relative wet weight of uterus and vagina in the groups ANA 0.05 and ANA 0.5 were comparable with the control. Histological examination did not show atrophic changes in endometrium of uterus and in epithelium of vagina in anastrozole-treated animals. In the group ANA 0.5 myometrium was significantly grosser than in the group ANA 0.05 (P<0.05). Anastrozole neither affects parameters of plasma lipid metabolism (triacylglycerols, total cholesterol, low - density lipoprotein cholesterol and high - density lipoprotein cholesterol) nor serum levels of sex hormones (estradiol, testosterone, dehydroepiandrosterone). Compact bone thickness in the groups with anastrozole was significantly increased in comparison with untreated animals (P<0.001). A significant increase in body weight was found in the group ANA 0.5 compared with the control group (P<0.01). The significant increase in body weight gain was not attended by the significant increase in food intake.</p><p align="justify">The side effects of aromatase inhibitor anastrozole in the prevention of N-methyl-N-nitrosourea - induced pre-menopausal mammary carcinogenesis in female Sprague-Dawley rats on myometrium, compact bone thickness and body weight gain were observed. </p> Keywords: pre-menopausal mammary carcinogenesis, chemoprevention, aromatase inhibitors, anastrozole, side effects, female rats.
PMID: 19239326
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
Donna

hmm...wondering???

Do you think this would apply to Femara as well? I am having a terrible time trying to lose weight I gained during chemo. I would like to know if maybe it isn't all my fault, but some credit could go to Femara.

:-)

Donna

Diagnosed 6/7/06 invasive ductal carcinoma/ductal carcinoma in situ
Lumpectomy 6/21/06
Pathology: Er 99% Pr 10% Her2/neu 3+
DNA Index 1.0
S-Phase 3/High
Primary Tumor 2.4 cm Sentinel Node Tumor 2.1cm
A/C/T+ Herceptin + rads + Arimidex
stopped Herceptin after 7 mos. due to low MUGA
Surgery for thickened uterine tissue May 2008 - conclusion: side effect of Arimidex
Switched from Arimidex to Femara - joint/tendon problems significantly better!
2 year mark Pet scan and Echo shows all clear!
5 year mammogram with ultrasound shows no sign of cancer - yay!
11 years, 11 months new breast cancer - found lump
Mastectomy 4/30/2018
Pathology: Er99%, PR 28%, Her2 negative! (new type)
Faslodex
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
Unregistered

VALIDATION!!!!!! I have been working out and watching my diet and once again the weight is piling back on....
Thought I was NUTS!
Old 02-28-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
Becky

When does the problem begin to occur? From the get go or over time?

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
Donna

aromatase inhibitor=no estrogen=abdominal fat/obesity

Hi all, found this, thought it was worth posting:

Obesity continues to rise in the United States and throughout the world. Both leptin from fat cells and insulin from pancreatic B cells are created in direct proportion to body fat. Obese persons have higher levels of these two hormones than lean individuals. Recent studies show that another hormone, estrogen, also has a similar affect. When estrogen receptors in the hypothalamus of rats were destroyed, female rats ate more food, burnt less energy and became obese. Research suggests a link between estrogen and obesity, especially the dangerous accumulation of abdominal fat linked to cardiovascular disease, type-2 diabetes mellitus, and certain cancers. The abstract was submitted by Deborah J. Clegg, PhD, Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, Obesity Research Center, at the University of Cincinnati Academic Health Center, to the 234th national meeting of the American Chemical Society on August 20, 2007. Her findings will assist scientists in developing new hormone replacement therapies.

Diagnosed 6/7/06 invasive ductal carcinoma/ductal carcinoma in situ
Lumpectomy 6/21/06
Pathology: Er 99% Pr 10% Her2/neu 3+
DNA Index 1.0
S-Phase 3/High
Primary Tumor 2.4 cm Sentinel Node Tumor 2.1cm
A/C/T+ Herceptin + rads + Arimidex
stopped Herceptin after 7 mos. due to low MUGA
Surgery for thickened uterine tissue May 2008 - conclusion: side effect of Arimidex
Switched from Arimidex to Femara - joint/tendon problems significantly better!
2 year mark Pet scan and Echo shows all clear!
5 year mammogram with ultrasound shows no sign of cancer - yay!
11 years, 11 months new breast cancer - found lump
Mastectomy 4/30/2018
Pathology: Er99%, PR 28%, Her2 negative! (new type)
Faslodex
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:53 PM   #6
Lien

I've always been very thin, but now with 4 yrs of arimidex I've gained a couple of kilo's. I have to watch what I eat now. I think the weight gain began pretty soon after I started taking arimidex. Wonder if it will get better when I stop taking it.

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote