HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-21-2008, 07:28 AM   #1
Hopeful

Maternal Dietary Canola Oil Protects Offspring From Breast Cancer

This is a Medscape article, and may require registration (free) to access: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/583875

R.B., I hope you are reading!

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:07 PM   #2
R.B.

Thank you Hopeful.

I had seen others suggesting long term dietary influence but not form memory looking at both Omega 3 and 6.

I am busy writing an updated version of my book with an easy how too, some improvements, and some more bits of the jigsaw. A month I thought - some months it is hopefully nearly there . . .

SCAREY

GOOD FIND

THANKS

Nutr Cancer. 2008 ;60 (5):666-74 18791931 (P,S,G,E,B)
[Cited?]
Suppression of Implanted MDA-MB 231 Human Breast Cancer Growth in Nude Mice by Dietary Walnut.
[My paper] W Elaine Hardman, Gabriela Ion
Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology, Marshall University School of Medicine, Huntington, West Virginia, USA.
Walnuts contain components that may slow cancer growth including omega 3 fatty acids, phytosterols, polyphenols, carotenoids, and melatonin. A pilot study was performed to determine whether consumption of walnuts could affect growth of MDA-MB 231 human breast cancers implanted into nude mice. Tumor cells were injected into nude mice that were consuming an AIN-76A diet slightly modified to contain 10% corn oil. After the tumors reached 3 to 5 mm diameter, the diet of one group of mice was changed to include ground walnuts, equivalent to 56 g (2 oz) per day in humans. The tumor growth rate from Day 10, when tumor sizes began to diverge, until the end of the study of the group that consumed walnuts (2.9 +/- 1.1 mm(3)/day; mean +/- standard error of the mean) was significantly less (P > 0.05, t-test of the growth rates) than that of the group that did not consume walnuts (14.6 +/- 1.3 mm(3)/day). The eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic acid fractions of the livers of the group that consumed walnuts were significantly higher than that of the group that did not consume walnuts. Tumor cell proliferation was decreased, but apoptosis was not altered due to walnut consumption. Further work is merited to investigate applications to cancer in humans.
Nutr Cancer. 2007 ;57 (2):177-83 17571951 (P,S,G,E,B)
[Cited?]
Dietary Canola Oil Suppressed Growth of Implanted MDA-MB 231 Human Breast Tumors in Nude Mice.
[My paper] W Elaine Hardman
The Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology, Marshall University School of Medicine, Huntington, West Virginia.
Long chain omega 3 (n-3) fatty acids, eicosapentaenoic (EPA) and/or docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), have been shown to suppress growth of most cancer cells. In vivo, alpha linolenic acid (ALA, 18:3n-3) can be converted to EPA or DHA. We hypothesized that substituting canola oil (10% ALA) for the corn oil (1% ALA) in the diet of cancer bearing mice would slow tumor growth by increasing n-3 fatty acids in the diet. Sixty nude mice received MDA-MB 231 human breast cancer cells and were fed a diet containing 8% w/w corn oil until the mean tumor volume was 60 mm3. The dietary fat of half of the tumor bearing mice was then changed to 8% w/w canola oil. Compared to mice that consumed the corn oil containing diet, the mice that consumed the canola oil containing diet had significantly more EPA and DHA in both tumors and livers, and the mean tumor growth rate and cell proliferation in the tumor were significantly slower (P < 0.05). About 25 days after diet change, mice that consumed the corn oil diet stopped gaining weight, whereas the mice that consumed the canola oil diet continued normal weight gain. Use of canola oil instead of corn oil in the diet may be a reasonable means to increase consumption of n-3 fatty acids with potential significance for slowing growth of residual cancer cells in cancer survivors.
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote