HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-31-2008, 07:17 PM   #1
madubois63

Don't get me wrong...I plan on being a very old lady with lots of grand kids! No matter that I was originally diagnosed stage IV, reoccurred 3 times with bc, got leukemia from chemo, had liver failure and then extreme iron overload (there's more, but that's just minor stuff). I live day to day for each new treatment that will get me to next mishap...I do not believe in statistics! I write my own statistics and story...
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver
BC mets to lung 11/07
Fasoladex Herceptin Zometa Xeloda
GVHD/Iron overload to liver
Avascular Necrosis/morphine pump 10/10
metastatic brain tumor
steriotactic radiosurgery
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:19 PM   #2
Mary Jo

Hi everyone,

I can't believe I missed this thread. When I read the remark made about a recurrence happening to all of us at some point, it left me a little unsettled I must admit. I waited for someone to add their comments to this but none came. I'm happy you brought it up for discussion pinkgirl.

I liked reading everyone's comments and like many of you have stated I choose to live my life in the now. Taking the best care of myself that I can and enjoying each breath God gives me.

Whether I ever have a recurrence or not isn't something I can think about often as it would suck the life right out of me. What will happen will happen and I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

Very interesting discussion and thank you pinkgirl for addressing it for all of us.

Holding all my "sisters" and "brothers" close in prayer and asking for God's Peace to surround each of us as we travel onward..............

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:23 PM   #3
Becky

Hi Unregistered

Your figures may be true for Stage 4 women who became Stage 4 - like your example of Elizabeth Edwards - she was not diagnosed Stage 4 but at Stage 3. She was treated with surgery, chemo and radiation and then recurred. These women will not be cured but may be NED for years without recurrence (and, as you said - they may never recur).

However, women diagnosed as Stage 4 from the get go, being chemotherapy naive, they may never recur and the chemo may do its magic the first time as it does in the lower stages of cancer (by erradicating micro mets that we don't even know are there). I stand by my fact and I am sure yours is true to but we are talking about 2 different kinds of Stage 4 patients.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:33 AM   #4
dlaxague

Two different stage IV'? - still don't understand

Becky said: "women diagnosed as Stage 4 from the get go, being chemotherapy naive, they may never recur and the chemo may do its magic the first time as it does in the lower stages of cancer (by erradicating micro mets that we don't even know are there). I stand by my fact and I am sure yours is true to but we are talking about 2 different kinds of Stage 4 patients."

Becky, do you have some study or other information to give us to prove this statement? I've never heard that there's a difference between de novo stage IV diagnosis and a stage IV recurrence.

I do agree that no statistics available right now will apply to women being treated for mets right now - because things are changing too fast (for the better) for statistics to keep up. So the news is better than any study can show.

But again, I've never heard of this differentiation and if it's true, there would be many clues within it. Please tell us more.

Debbie Laxague
dlaxague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:18 PM   #5
TriciaK

Somehow I missed this thread. I've just read it all, and all I can say is "WOW!!" No wonder I feel so much empathy and love for those on this website. You are all so incredible. I just have to add my 2 cents worth, since as most of you know I am a 23 year survivor of BC. I don't know how to do my personal history column at the end of each post, so will briefly repeat it here:
Diagnosed at age 56 in 1985 with early stage BC. Bilateral mastectomy + reconsturcton (silicone) No chemo
Mets to T-9 and T-10 vertebra in 1990 (within 5 years) No chemo, used diet change, psychonueroimmunology (hypnosis and meditation), plus 5 years of Tamoxifen. My last MRI in 1995 report stated "HEALED metastatic breast cancer)
I took that literally and "forgot" about BC for 15 years. Lived very active personal and professional life
Heart attack in 2004+ CT showed BC mets to lungs, now her2. In hospital 1 month due to heart attack and pnuemonia then treatment with herceptin and navelbine for 6 months. Herceptin alone for 9 more months. Heart affected (ef=30), triple bypass, 2006.
Moved 3 times; finally settled and stable in S. Utah, a wonderful area; last 3 PET's=NED (Latest PET in June 2008)
I am now 78 years old (will be 79 Dec. 9), looking forward to being 80 in Dec. 2009. I have severe fibromyalgia, so I have to ignore pain. I faithfully take diovan and coreg cr , which has greatly helped the cardiomyopathy and congestive heart failure. I also take femara and fuerosimide and the suplement Reliv. I eat mostly vegetarian, try to exercise some. My ef is now over 50. I live life to the fullest, am writing my life story, am very active in my church, enjoy my wonderful husband , 9 children, 32 grands and 32+ great grands. Life is good. I don't have extra energy to worry about BC, will probably die of a heart attack anyway, but life is still so much fun I plan to be around awhile, and no matter what, LIVE every day.
I don't know where I fit into the statistics, since my onc gave me less than a year when I started herceptin. I just laughed at him and said "Watch me!" I have cashed in my life insurance. That was fun.
I still think this website is one of the best things that has happened to me. I appreciate Joe and Christine so much, and I love and appreciate each one of you. As I read your posts I visualize each one of you and pray for you. I know how dibilitating fear is, but I remind myself that "fear and faith cannot co-exist" so I concentrate on faith.
Sorry this is so long, but I want to add one more thing, my latest favorite quote to live by. It's from the CancerCrusade:

When you come to the edge of all the light you know and are about to step off into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing that one of two things will happen: there will be something solid for you to stand on, or you will be taught how to fly. (Patrick Overton)

I believe that. And I love you all. Hugs, Tricia

Last edited by TriciaK; 08-05-2008 at 12:22 PM..
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:44 PM   #6
mts

Tricia-

YOU are ONE savvy chic !

Maria
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
Terri B

Location: me & my three HANDSOME grandsons!!Jacksonville, Arkansas
Thumbs up

Wow Tricia, who could read your story and not be COMPLETELY impressed!

You GO Girl!!!
1.5 cm & .6 cm grade III, Stage IIA
es/pr- Her2+++, 9/9 richardson
Double Mast w/expanders 4-14-08
3/9 nodes positive.
additional excision rt breast 4-25-08
weekly T/H x 12 (6-2-08) Done!
FEC x4 (9-8-08) Last one 11-10-08!
Herceptin complete 8/10/09!!
33 RADS DONE 2/13/09!
rt. breast biopsy 3/20/09 .. B9!!
reconstruction complete!
DEEEEEEported on 5/19/10!!
almost 5 YEARS NED!!
Terri B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:02 PM   #8
Mary Jo

Just wanted to say.......

Just wanted to say I love you Tricia and think you are simply WONDERFUL. You offer such wisdom and love to this site and give all of us hope.

Thanking God for you "sister"

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:44 PM   #9
sassy

One reason I no longer visit other sites is that discussions often become attacks, which serves no purpose. Here we have discussions that benefit us all.

I'm not a "stick my head in the sand person" at all. I have the possibility to recurr, just as we all do. But I do not believe recurrance is inevitable. Even in my small community, there are several ladies who were dx'd over 20 years ago and have not recurred. Many told me of their disease after my dx. I did not know they had had BC because it was prior to my move here 27 years ago.

One thing to remember is that the statistics quoted for 10,15,20 years survival are based on data that is for initial treatment 10,15,20 years ago. Not based on current treatment.

For those of us who were dx'd early stage, Herceptin has changed the stats significantly favorably. And if I'm not mistaken, the longest term stats available could only be for about seven years (since the initialization of the HERA trial). We are in a category that does not have historical statistical data.

Do any of us look at traffic death statistics and refuse to travel in a car? Probably not. But hopefully we look at the contributing factors to traffic deaths and take steps to increase our odds of survival, ie wearing seatbelts, not talking on cell phones when driving, etc. We should look at recurrance stats the same way and take those steps that we can to increase our odds of survival, ie treatments, lifestyle, diet.

Cancer is a part of our lives--otherwise we wouldn't be here. But it should ONLY be a part--not the whole.

Enjoy life.
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote