HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-31-2007, 12:25 PM   #1
Erin

After my 4th TCH treatment I started having problems with my right eye. My vision would get very blurry and I would see "ghosts" of everything - worse at night. I have needed glasses for some time now, but this was sudden and severe. Even wearing my glasses I couldnt' read or see distance well enough to drive at night. Then, after two days it cleared up and i was back to my regular vision. It has happened four or five times since then (over about 7 months). They thought it was chemo related, but I finished chemo on 5/30 and it is still happening about once a month. I have had repeated eye exams by an opthomologist and no one can find a reason. No one mentioned it as a possible side effect of Herceptin. I hope it is - if so, maybe it will quit once I finish Herceptin in 2/08. Keep us posted. I would love to hear whatever you find out.
SNB 3 nodes clear
Stage 1, Grade 2, HER2+++ (FISH 6.8)
ER + / PR +
TCH, 6 rounds, finished 6/1/07!!!
Herceptin to continue for 1 year
36 rads finished 8/22/07
Port out 8/27/07
Switched to Herceptin weekly for joint pain
Ooph 11/13/07
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:23 PM   #2
R.B.

Eyesight.

DHA the long chain omega three is fundamental to eyesight.

I have asked the question before and have no answer. How does Herceptin interact in the fats pathways - trials suggest it does as part of its mechanisms.

IF (and I have no idea if it does or does not) it blocks conversion of the mother omega three found in vegetable products to the long chain product it may contribute to DHA deficit particularly in those who do not get it in their diet through oily fish or fish oil.

Please also see the Greek Diet thread.

Please discuss dietary change with your medical advisor. Fish oil can cause blood thinning.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...ubmed_RVDocSum

"Dementia and age-related macular degeneration (AMD) are major causes of disability in the elderly. n-3 Fatty acids, particularly docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), are highly concentrated in brain and retinal tissue and may prevent or delay the progression of dementia and AMD. Low dietary intakes and plasma concentrations have been reported to be associated with dementia, cognitive decline, and AMD risk."
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote