HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-16-2007, 09:35 AM   #5
Ginagce

Exclamation Thanks for Posting this Article/My Story

I too found myself in a place where after more than 5 years with the same insurer, I was stamped uninsurable and found myself without health insurance. I was in a total state of panic.

I was in the middle of my herceptin treatment which was being billed to my insurance company at a cost of about $8,500 every 3 weeks. And this did not include the regular muga scans, blood work etc.

I called my Patient Care Coordinator who had known for more than a year that I was alone and struggling with financial issues after having spent my nest egg and even sold the "big House" after my husband and I both had cancer in the late 90's. I had lived through mine but my husband was not as fortunate.

She offered me a couple options to try but I did not qualify for either of them. Finally I called the Health Law Project here in Pennsylvania.

They immediately told me I qualified for the BCCCPTP (Breast & Cervical Cancer Prevention & Treatment Program) and couldn't understand why my hospital Social Worker had not told me so.

I was being treated in Philadelphia at one of the large cancer centers, as a matter of fact, one of the three designated NCI centers in this area.

When I called the Social Worker back and told her about the insurance, she said and I quote, "Oh yes I know about it but we don't accept it and I didn't think you wanted to change hospitals". I was outraged to say the least.

I asked to speak with the head of their billing office and was transferred to the CFO's office. After arguing with her for awhile I was told I would receive a call from one of their financial counselors. When the counselor called she asked me many personal questions about my finances. Which by the way is not necessary for this program in my state, Pennsylvania.

An hour later she called me back and said, "we will take the insurance from you". I asked, "what about other women?" and she replied, "Don't push your luck Gina"!

That was a year ago this month. Since then I have been able to obtain insurance on my own and no longer need this program but I've not stopped working for other women at this hospital. Through the Pennsylvania Breast Cancer Coalition I have continued to lobby for this and have continued to work with the Health Law Project as well.

In June I told my contact at the Health Law Project that I would give these organizations until September to work it out and if it were not resolved, I would take it on myself.

Well here it is September and this hospital has not changed its' policy. So armed with this article and the support of the PHLP, I am about to go public with this story here in Philadelphia.

What that hospital did was a travesty. Yes I got my treatment and yes I am still here. But I am sure that this conspiracy of silence at this hospital impacts women on a daily basis. Women who will not ask to speak with the CFO and just walk away. And this is not acceptable to me.

Wish me luck. If I can prevent just one women from being denied treatment at this NCI facility, I will be happy.

Ginagce
10 year Survivor This Month

P.S. For any of you in Pennsylvania who are having trouble getting insured, please either contact me or the Philadelphia Health Law Project to learn more about this insurance and its' requirements. Pennsylvania is one state that does not require your initial diagnosis be made at a "participating facility".

Last edited by Ginagce; 09-16-2007 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: forgot important piece of info
Ginagce is offline   Reply With Quote