HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-07-2007, 09:43 AM   #1
Vicki

Two Updates from Melina and her UCLA treatment

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=606 border=0><TBODY><TR class=cellcolor><TD colSpan=2>May 06, 2007 at 08:45 PM PDT</TD></TR><TR class=cellcolor><TD colSpan=2>Optimistic Living..........
Is a choice!
In early April, it was suggested that I might want to consider SBRT (radiation treatment) for the node in the portal artery. We took that information to UCLA and reviewed the options. The UCLA oncologist had a very brilliant way of looking at things. He said that the node and the embolized tumor was shrinking, that they are great gauges and why would we do anything, right now. He said, "Do as little as possible, now. Keep your options open for later when you may need them". Basically, don't use all of your arrows, if you don't have to. Such a different way of thinking at an academic institution.
So we've taken his advice and decided to continue the therapy I'm currently on (Tykerb and Avastin) until we have to change. I have figured out how to manage the new side effects and I'm being very closely monitored by the drug company, the insurance pharmacy and of course, my doctors.
I am reminded that I can continue to live with this metastatic disease (I mean Chronic Illness) I just need to stay ahead of this disease. It's like a brush fire; I'll continue to do what I need to do to keep it out.
My next scans will be in June/July timeframe. Until then,
I will not be shaken,
I will not be moved,
Though the ocean may try to swallow me,
I am safe because of God and your prayers.
Thank you...for your continued love and support!
Love,
Melinda

</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>7 April 05, 2007 at 12:26 AM PDT</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>Life is better than great, right now!
I received all of my scan results back today - YEAH!
NO EVIDENCE OF ANY NEW DISEASE
(NO bone,brain,lung,abdomen or pelvic metastasis).
Both the liver lesion that was embolized, and the node on the portal artery has shrunk 1/3 to 1/2. This means the medication is working.
I am now on the new drug, Tykerb. We are currently searching for the balance of "those" side-effects. All I will say is, it's not the way I want to lose weight.
I feel as though a tremendous weight has been lifted from my shoulders (mentally and emotionally). I am now officially back on the "quarter system". My next set of scans will be 2-3 months from now. In the meantime, we will get opinions from UCLA on how we should approach the node in the portal artery and what, if anything, we want to do with the embolized tumor on the liver.
Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. They make a BIG difference; I am living proof that miracles are happening everyday.
Love,
Melinda

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote