HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-18-2006, 09:06 PM   #1
sabpri

Sherry, I am sooo with you!

I feel the same way! While my family and friends feel like every month that passes I am that much closer to remission, I unfortunately feel like it is getting closer to the countdown of my end! I was diagnosed with Bone Mets at diagnosis August 2005. My twins just turned 2 and my daugther almost 4. I HAVE to live at least another 15 years, which would be pretty miraculous for a Stage 4 person. I know I have read 1-2 years mets come back, and now I feel like at 15 months out I am smack dab in the middle of the Cancer Zone! AAGGHH!

Everyone keeps telling me how great I look now, how happy they are that I am done with cancer, etc. etc. I just smile and say yes, but it makes me feel so alone inside because I am just as emotionally tormented as I was when I was going through chemo. No one wants to hear all my misery and emotional pain and fears of cancer coming back and every ache and pain I freak out over!! I found a good therapist that has helped me to deal with it and is has helped.

It is nice to know that I am not alone.

Here is to us, living a very long and healthy lives, to see our grandchildren!

Natalie
sabpri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:52 AM   #2
Sheila

I am sure it must be harder on women with young children...the fear is overwhelming. As a nurse, I have seen a positive outlook on illness make a huge difference in healing....so although we have these fears, we must also have faith for the future....like Steph, some of us who were older when diagnosed, have the same fears....although my children are raised, 31 year old twin girls and a 29 yr old son, and 5 grandchildren and 1 on the way....I have many reasons to look to the future, take each day as it comes and live life to the fullest....I don't want regrets, this dreaded disease may have invaded my body, but I refuse to let it take my spirit too!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 06:12 AM   #3
VirginiaGirl

Me too!

I had convinced myself that I was DONE with cancer after finishing treatment the first time, and less than a year later I am diagnosed w/ mets. It just wasn't supposed to happen. I, too, chant in my head "10 more years" until my daughter is 18, at least. At times I'm convinced my positive attitude will make it happen, other times I'm afraid I'm deceiving myself again and not being realistic. But we have to be positive and brave around our children. I know my daughter is scared, too, and given her young age, I don't want to freak her out more than she already is! I, too, feel that the fear about what any physical pains mean is worse than the pain itself (so far anyway), and that now is as good as it's going to get coz it's all down hill from here, and just that much closer to disability and/or death. Ultimately, I don't like to think that way, and just push it out of my mind and try to focus on how lucky I am, on all the blessings in my life, and really there are so very many!

Peace
alternative chemo 5/05-7/05, rad 8/05-10/05
7/06 dx mets to vertebrae, pelvis & chest lymph nodes
8/06 - 10/06 tamoxifen, herceptin, oophorectomy & zometa
11/06 PET/CT showed continued bone mets, new spot on liver
12/06 began taxotere/herceptin 1x/3 weeks,
2/07 - 2-08 NED!
3/08 progression, start taxol/herceptin weekly, monthly zometa
8/08 start ai & herceptin
12/08 - progression, start weekly navelbine/herceptin thru 6/09 & monthly zometa
7/09 - PET/CT showed improvement in spine, but 2-3 lymph nodes in chest became active
9/09 - 11/09 - weekly abraxane/herceptin
12/09 - PET/CT - chest lymph nodes resolved, progression in spine & pelvis
2/10 - 6/10 - start tykerb/xeloda, progession in spine & pelvis
7/10 - start taxotere/carboplatin/herceptin

VirginiaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:59 AM   #4
CLTann

I have long concluded that it is the natural human instinct to survive and strive for a long life. In fact, this is the universal principle for all living matters, even including the naughty cancer cells. I am near retiring age and look for enjoyable life with my husband. We have children and grandchildren. Still, we do not give up any opportunity to be happy. The BC is a much milder form of cancer than other types. We all have hope to live a long life. The mental fear is very natural for all of us since our enemy is like those terrorists. We don't know when and where they will strike. Stay alert, vigilant and keep up with the new knowledge. With a little bit of luck, we shall conquor the unknown and live a meaningful life.

Stage 1 dx Sept 05
ER/PR positive HER2 +++ Grade 3
Invasive carcinoma 1 cm, no node involvement
Mastec Sept 05
Annual scans all negative, Oct 06
Postmenopause. Arimidex only since Sept 06, bone or muscle ache after 3 month
Off Arimidex, change to Femara 1/12-07, ache stopped
Sept 07 all tests negative, pass 2 year mark
Feb 08 continue doing well.
Sep 09 four year NED still on Femara.
CLTann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:38 AM   #5
lexigirl

Hi Sherri,

Sending you a huge hug. I definitely know how you are feeling. My one year passed and I felt anxious. I'm dealing with some sort of pain in my upper back that has me worried. My husband is telling me to get it checked out and doesn't understand why I'm not racing to the phone to have an appt for a scan made. Denial is sometimes easier to deal. I have two kids, ages 14 and 10. I told myself if I could just make it to when my daughter grads. from HS. Of course if I do make it I will want more! ANd there is absolutely nothing wrong with asking our heavenly Father for more. He expects us to! Don't feel selfish. I did at first, but I know that God wants me to have the desires of my heart, too! I believe that you are going to be here for many years to come.

Hugs and Prayers,
Lexi
lexigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:51 AM   #6
Jeanette

Talking feeling scared

I have just finished my Herceptin and now only on Arimidex, I also worry at times. i have six children and fifteen Grands and I want to be able to dance at there weddings. I will not give up, though there are time when i think we have all felt that way. with the good Lords help we will survive to live a long life. bless all of you, Jeanette
Jeanette is offline   Reply With Quote