HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-03-2006, 06:03 PM   #1
SusanV

to Port or not to Port...that is the Question

Hello Friends,

I made a decision last week to go ahead and have a port put in. Due to the Labor Day holiday, I will have my first chemo treatment on 9-5 without the port. It will be put in before my second treatment in three weeks. In the meantime, My husband ran into a woman at work who is also Her 2+ and had finished her treatments. She showed him the scar from her port, which hubby said was "significant." I really want to have the port done, but hubby asked that I post to my "friends" to see what you guys think.

I had my first muga with a blood draw, and the two injections for that plus the blood draw all from my left arm...really hurt.
ER/PR + (Highly Positive)
Her 2 +++
1.3 & 1.2 tumors right breast
node negative
lumpectomy 8-15-06
A/C Began 9-5-06 Finished A/C 11/6/06
Port Placement 9-15-06
Negative Test for BRAC1 & BRAC2 10-25-06
Began Tamoxofin November 21, 2006
First Herceptin November 27, 2006 Continues every 3 Weeks
First Radiation Treatment December 11, 2006
35 Rads Completed
Final Herceptin Treatment November 12, 2007
Port Removal November 19, 2007
Living Life to the Fullest !!
SusanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:09 PM   #2
CPA

Jill is almost 3/4 through her year of chemo and herceptin. Since she had lymph nodes removed, she cannot have any IVs on her R arm. She decided to have a port inserted. I am assuming you are looking at an IVAD port inserted in your upper chest.

Not only is it less painful to get treatments and blood draws (she is really wimpy about needles) but it keeps her veins healthy should anything need done in her "good" arm sometime in the future.

You can also ask for a lidocaine topical cream if you are really wimpy and don't want to feel the needle. She just rubs some over the port about 45 min before her infustion and says she does not feel the needle at all.

She had to have her first port replaced soon after insertion due to a problem with the incision area, but the second is holding up so far.

You will have a scar about 1 to 1 1/2 inches where the port is inserted. It can be inserted as an outpatient procedure so you will be home the same day. Make sure you get a dual port model. Even with the problems with the first port, it appears to be a good choice. Other people we have met have had their ports for several years (hope you do not need yours very long).

Good luck!
CPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:21 PM   #3
Bev

I have a port even tho I wasn't very enthusiastic. Surgery was easy. Scar is fading, only about an inch. I have large easy to find veins so they could only convince me to do a port by saying AC was very caustic and could burn your skin. They have only drawn blood once as I only had one doc appt that coincided with infusion. The port stick feels about the same as a vein stick. I'm not convinced everyone needs them but I have'nt tried chemo via veins. Ask to see your port before install. Mine is the size of a dime. Good luck. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:49 PM   #4
Kimberly Lewis

It is a tough one - but the chemo is VERY hard on your veins. I didn't have a port offered so had A/C in my one good arm. After treatment it was almost impossible to find a vein and when they did they couldn't get much blood out. I finally demanded a port when they started talking about sticking me in the neck or my "bad" arm! My port got a mysterious staph infection after 8 months of working great. Had to be removed and now I am agonizing over having another, my veins have recovered enough so that my Herceptin treatments haven't been too hard. I never got used to having a needle poked through my chest.... but I have another year of Herceptin sooooo - I will probably get another port. sigh....
Kimberly Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:13 PM   #5
Lisa

I can't imagine NOT having a port. Yes, there will be a scar. But so what? Is your husband really that concened for you or for himself. My husband has never commented on it and I've had it in for the past 3 years. It doesn't ever bother me. I would have real issues having an IV every week without it. The majority of women have one and have no problems. My vote: Deal!

Love and light,

Lisa
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 10:08 PM   #6
tousled1

I have a port and I too couldn't imagine not having it. The incision where the port was put in is less than an inch in size and almost invisible. When I think about all the chemo sessions and now a year of Herceptin, and who knows what down the road I know that I made the right decision in getting a port.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 06:38 AM   #7
John21

You should have the port as the others have recommended. My wife has had one from the start. SHe does not regret the decision, nor do I. It is a vein saver, but once it is in, it is easier on you. I do not notice it and when it ever comes out, who cares as long as I still have her.

Hope it helps

John
John21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:32 AM   #8
janet/FL

I vote for a port. I am not real happy with the scar, but after one year of Herceptin I would say it is a small price to pay for saving my arm! My arm was numb and hurting from all the blood draws, blood pressure tests and infusions. I have no regrets. I do not even allow them to use the automatic blood pressure cuff on my arm. It can leave it numb if it inflates too high or has a problem and has to reinflate the second time.
And I want to add, scars fade. I can't even find evidience of when I weed wacked my foot and leg! Scars are all gone! LOL
Janet

Last edited by janet/FL; 09-04-2006 at 07:34 AM..
janet/FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:40 AM   #9
Becky

I did not get a port. I have had 4 AC followed by 4 Taxol then 16 months of Herceptin (actually 15 with 2 more to go). My veins are ok. However, if I had to do it again, I should have gotten a port. My first onc (have since switched) convinced me not to do it but at the time, Herceptin wasn't available as an adjuvant yet (I started 4 months after my last chemo) and I should have gotten one then too. But my onc (same one) said Herceptin is not bad on the veins like chemo so, I didn't.

But, I am 47 and the chance of needing my left arm for future surgeries or whatever... well, I do think about it. Naturally I am assuming I will never need chemo again but if I ever do, I will get a port for sure.

Kind regards

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:26 AM   #10
ecperry

Port

Susan,

This is my first posting to this website since joining a couple of days ago, so please bear with me.

I was diagosed with breast cancer (E/PR+ and HER2+, grade III) in November of 2002. My tumor was small (1.2 cm) so I opted for BCT. Two of my lymph nodes were also positive.

Because my veins didn't tolerate the chemo very well (phlebitis), I elected to have a port placed in my upper arm. Making this choice made the chemo in the months to follow so much easier. I must admit that I was apprehensive about the port placement. At the time it seemed to be one more invasive procedure that I didn't want. I am sure you well know that ever-present out-of-control feeling that goes along with this whole breast cancer treatment process. The only complication that I had from the port was a blood clot that developed in my arm near the port area and had to be treated, but it isn't a "common" side effect.

The port was in place for four months until the end of my chemo treatments in July 2003. If the fact that I would choose it again if the need arose makes you feel more comfortable in making this decision, then my point has been well made.

I wish you the very best, Susan.

Betsy Perry
Adrian, MI
ecperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:38 AM   #11
saleboat

My veins did fine without the port, and as you can see in my sig, I had a lot of treatment. Most people don't need ports, unless they already have a known issue with their veins. Maybe you could try it without the port, and see how it goes?

I'm really happy that I don't now have a scar from the port. It just would have been one more reminder of the physical toll that this disease can take, on top of the hair loss, scarred breast and who knows whatever else long-term damage that the treatment has done.

Jen
(IVF in between surgery and chemo)
tx dd A/C, followed by dd Taxol & Herceptin
30 rads (or was it 35?)
Finished Herceptin on 7/24/06
Tamox
livingcured.blogspot.com

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow." -- Helen Keller
saleboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:21 PM   #12
karen raines hunt

I would definitely get a port!

HI.

My port was inserted at the time of my mastectomies and stayed in place for 15 months of treatments (A/C. Taxol and Herceptin). The port served me well...........the whole ordeal would have been much more difficult without the port. The nurses at my oncologists office use a "freezy spray" to deaden the area before inserting the needle into the port. This also made a huge difference. If I ever have to do chemo or Herceptin again...........I will have another port put in.

I finished my last Herceptin on July 13 and had the port removed on July 27. I then swam in a 2.4 mile open water swim on Aug 3 to celebrate! It took me 1 hour and 45 minutes, but my goal was just to do it.

Good luck.
Karen
2 positive axillary lymph nodes
ER+/PR+, Her 2 +++
Bilateral mastectomy, radiation, reconstruction, A/C, Taxol, Herceptin, Tamoxifen, Aromasin
5 yrs since diagnosis and NED
karen raines hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 06:55 PM   #13
chrislmelb

I love my port..............

As soon as i found out I was to receive Herceptin for 2 years i said "PORT". It just makes things so much easier. After all the chemo etc my arm was really giving up and now the only place they can use is the back of my hand. I leave that for tests etc. As for the scar, it is rather minimal and now very faded after 10 months. Also, i don't mind showing off the scars and if other people have a problem, tough. It is usaully hidden by clothes, except on hot days. I keep my three big scars far more hidden!
GO FOR THE PORT.
Christine
chrislmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:35 AM   #14
Colleen007

Getting the port was one of the best decisions that I made...yes, you will have a scar, but my thought is that it is just another "battle scar" in this war we are fighting! If your choice is between having to fight to find a good vein each treatment or looking at your battle scar and reminding yourself how well you are doing going through all this, it seems to me to be an obvious choice.

Colleen
ER-, PR-, HER2+
Taxol/Herceptin/Zometa started Dec-2005. 11 cycles of Taxol.
Sept-2006: PET/CT scan of mets to liver, spine and femurs - Stable. Activity in R breast & mediastinum (not seen in prior scans).
Navelbine (3 wks on/1 wk off) as of Oct--2006 & continued Herceptin (every 3 wks) & Zometa (every 6 wks)
Jan-2007: PET/CT Scan - Stable. Continued Nav. through March-2007, then Herc./Zom. only after that.
June-2007: PET/CT Scan - activity in mediastinum. Back on Navelbine as of July-2007.
Scanned Quarterly since Oct-2007 - a few small scares, but otherwise stable due to continuing weekly Navelbine, Herceptin and Quarterly Zometa.
Colleen007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:00 AM   #15
koolbreeze

I am not sure that I had a choice but I am very glad to have it. Accessing the port is much less painstaking and less painful than putting an IV in my vein. They just clean the port area and insert a small needle into the port. It just stings slightly when the push the point in for a second or two. Not bad at all.

As a matter of fact, I get aggravated when I have procedures and the doctors or technicians won't use my port but want to use a vein. Some anthesiologists will use it and others won't. Some CT scan techs will use it and others won't. I am always asking, why can't you use my port?

If I had to do it over again, I would have a port put in without question. It makes the entire process easier and keeps your veins good for future use.

As for the scar. well I have a scar from under my left arm all the way over to under my right arm from my double mastectomy so the additional port scar is nothing. It would not even show unless I wore a totally strapless top so I am not sure what your husbands concern is with the scarring, it is only cosmetic appearance. Also, most scars fade with age and there are good products available to help speed the scar healing and minimize it. So what if we have a few battle scars, we are survivors!!!!!! My advice, if you want it is, Do the PORT it is really no big deal and the benefits are worth it! Kool

DX 3/05
Stage IIB 1.3cm w/ lymph node involvement
ER+++PR+, HER2+++ G3
Surgery - Left mastectomy 4/05, Lymph node removal 5/05, breast expander removal 6/05, partial thyroidectomy 7/05, Right mastectomy 1/06
Post Menopausal due to hyserectomy 2/03 (took hormone replacement)
Treatment - A/C, Taxol and Herceptin, Herceptin only (finish 10/06), Arimidex daily.
Age 50
koolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote