HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-04-2006, 05:49 AM   #1
Mary Jo

One year of Herceptin ending........

Good Morning Everyone,

My one year of herceptin will be ending very soon. October 11th to be exact. Next will be on Sept. 20th and then the big day, Ocotber 11th. Naturally, like many of you , I am excited and nervous. Although, concentrating on what I can control and what I can't. Cancer being something I can't. I was fortunate in that I was diagnosed before it spread anywhere and pray that I will not have a recurrence as we all do. My diagnosis was stage 2............ 4.5 cm. tumor............first sent. node had ONE microscopic cell in it..............second node clean............................ Did 4 a/c............................. 4 taxol/herceptin, 28 rad. treatments........................herceptin continuing til Oct. Also had right breast mastectomy July 2005 and left breast mastectomy March 7th. (left breast my choice - had calcification area they were watching - biopsied - benign - wanted breast removed - thankfully nothing found)

My question for you all is this......................................how many of you that were diagnosed early (no mets) stayed on herceptin for 1 year and how many went beyond 1 year?

I will be talking to my oncologist at our appointment in Oct. about her views on continuing it but thinks she will say that study's aren't showing a benefit of continuing it??? We'll see! What about insurance companies? Are they willing to pay for another year? Our insurance company has never given us trouble over anything but wondered if any do say 1 year is enough?

That's all for now. God Bless you all with the Joy that only comes from Him.

Mary Jo (marejo)
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:32 AM   #2
Becky

Dear Mary Jo

I have a Herceptin this Friday and my last one is Sept 29. However, my "year" was up June 10 and these extra treatments were to bring me to two years beyond diagnosis (ie: diagnosed via biopsy 8/27/04 and had lumpectomy 9/23/04). It was only an extra 6 (every three week treatments and not the whole extra year which would be another 11 or 12 beyond this). My onc felt the most vunerable period is the first two years and since I started 4 months after my last chemo (due to last years ASCO meeting and recommendations) it was not that much more to give me to cover this period.

All that I have heard and my onc has heard is that the 2 yrs will not be that much better than one year but it would cover the crucial time till 2 years from diagnosis so...

My insurance gave me a life long open ticket to Herceptin when they authorized it the first time last year so I did not have a problem continuing the treatment.

Like you, I am very nervous to stop but stop we must at some point (even if you go out to 2 years of Herceptin, the 2 yrs comes up). We are taking it in the adjuvant setting so you hope it works and you can go on with your life. That's the whole point of it all in the long run, eh?

You and I are on the same timetable of stopping so I will think of you and you can think of me. And at least you have no breast worries - I still have both of mine to consider. I have been thinking about what to do with "the girls" alot lately.

Kindest regards

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:06 AM   #3
Andi

Mary Jo - I am to have my last herceptin September 13. Like you, I have mixed feelings about coming to the end of my treatments. I know someone that was in the herceptin arm of the clinical trials, was stage 3c, like me and is almost 6 years past diagnosis. She took the herceptin for one year. My prayers are that all of the rest of us can do the same.
Diagnosed 6/30/05
Lumpectomy 7/13/05
Dose Dense A/C x 4
Weekly Taxol + Herceptin x 12
Remainder of year Herceptin Every 3 weeks (completes 9/13/06)
Radiation completed 2/28/06
Currently on Tamoxifen
Dec 06 - Pleural effusion treated with pleurodesis
Now er/pr-, her2++
1/07 started weekly Navelbine plus Herceptin
Discontinued Tamoxifen
4/27/07 CTshowed progression
5/01/07 Began Tykerb/Xeloda + Zometa
5/22/07 Stopped treatment due to great progression
Andi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:23 AM   #4
suzan w

My last herceptin treatment is Oct. 3...finishing up one year! I, too, am very nervous about stopping!!! Excited but scared! Early stage cancer for me, no nodes...bilateral mastectomy, 4 A/C, 5 years of Arimidex. Will be interested to hear what all your oncologists have to say...I will ask mine on Sept. 13...but can predict that she will tell me that one year is the protocol. I am in the Seattle area where alot of the trials are taking place.
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:43 AM   #5
saleboat

I ended my year of Herceptin on July 24. I'm surprised, but I haven't been feeling that nervous about it-- my layperson's reading of the scientific studies that have been done is that less Herceptin will become protocal for early-stage breast cancer. Of course, I worry about recurrance, but I don't think that anymore Herceptin will help-- it is either gone by now, or it isn't.

It is really nice to spend some time away from the treatment center. I wish I had more energy, but really glad to spend less time being a cancer patient.

Good luck,
Jen
(IVF in between surgery and chemo)
tx dd A/C, followed by dd Taxol & Herceptin
30 rads (or was it 35?)
Finished Herceptin on 7/24/06
Tamox
livingcured.blogspot.com

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow." -- Helen Keller
saleboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:14 PM   #6
tousled1

I just recently started my Herceptin and can't wait until I don't have to take it anymore. Even though protocol is for one year of Herceptin there have been women who got mets while on Herceptin. I get Herceptin only every week and just told my oncologist last Thursday that I needed a break. I'm voluntarily taking a 4 week vacation from Herceptin.

I'm positive that all of you who are approaching your one year of Herceptin will do great. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:28 PM   #7
Linda

I finished my year of herceptin last month and had just those questions for my onc (I'm stage 3a) My doc checked with 2 experts and was told that all indications were that a second year of herceptin was NOT more beneficial. She said that if she finds otherwise later, she'll let me know, but I'm reading more and more posts from women whose docs gave that same opinion; that the 2 year study does not show additional benefit.
I sure hear of lots of women doing well after one year. Let's hope that will include all of us!
Linda
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote