HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 03-20-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
MCS

Re: Please post your two cents on Herceptin "side effects" real or perceived!

Please check some of my earlier responses. I took Herceptin right after it was approved, thank God, just in time. For me there was no choice of once a week. I took it every three weeks.
I did suffer from severe bone ache that could not be taken away with heavy meds (vicadent.etc). Instead, Ibuprofen worked and lying on my side in bed. this was usually the first week afer treatment. So that's it, you have to bear it-think of those that did not have this herceptin
As to bone loss, well because of my age (56now), that occurred any way and I also have had my ovaries removed. Yes it has happened more rapidly if the big C did not occur.
As to hot flashes, I had them before and actually improved afterward. I started at 40!
I had chemo brain from the Adryicin treatment and to tell you the truth, I still have some chemo brain-it's just not an excuse that I forget things.

But I took it all like a girl, because I rather deal with all this and know that my cancer is held back for a while.

Use meditation, breathing, camomile, listening to favorite music softly in your room for the pain. Hot flashes, I know you sweat like a pig and then cold, but all of us girls go through that.

Truly it is my sincerest wish I had a magic wand and pass it around all of us and get rid of all of this. And not just for bc, but my lymphoma girlfriends, my bone cancer girfriends and so on....

God bless all of you. Press on this fight.

xoxo

MCS (maria)
MCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
kstrahm

I have been taking Herceptin for 6 years now. I was diagnosed right off the bat at 30 years old with stage IV with liver mets and started with Taxol, Carboplatinum, Hercptin and Femara as well as the Lupron shot to put me in menopause. I started all of that in April of 2006 and did that until Dec. 2006 at which time I switched to Herceptin only along with Femara and the Lupron - since that time I have recently had a hysterectomy so no more lupron so I am currently taking Femara and weekly Herceptin. I am starting to feel more side effects from the Herceptin - the day of infusion I get a headache with severe stuffiness and pressure in my head and am achy in my upper back and shoulders as well as knees - the most concerning thing I have noticed lately is little zings and pings all over my body which feels like needles poking me - it only lasts for a few seconds and then is gone - also I have burning and numbness on the palm of my hands and on my feet which is now starting up my leg - this seems to last almost up until the next infusion. My regular doc does not know what would cause this and has given me gabopentin to treat the effects. I will see the onc on April 2 and will see if he thinks we can take a break or if we need to press on - I am scared that these symptoms are neuropathy and if I keep taking it that it will get worse - however by stopping the Herceptin I also am scared that the liver mets will take hold again. So not sure what to do. Any advice or input would be appreciated. Thanks girls!
Hugs to all
kstrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
tryingtohanginthere

I am getting ready to begin Herceptin and was curious about the side effects. I just finished 6 rounds of TCH, and will continue with Herceptin every 3 weeks till December. I am worried now about all the side effects.
tryingtohanginthere is offline   Reply With Quote