HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2007, 05:24 PM   #1
Patb

What Is this pain

Hi all
I know I will get an answer here if there is one. I have been on Herceptin
since November and Arimidex since November. Some aches and stiffness but it seems to be getting worse about one week after Herceptin treatment. I tried to get out of bed about three am. in the morning to
go to the bathroom and could not move until I did all kinds of stretches
and excercises to loosen up. I don't want to stop either drug and hesitate to mention it to the Dr. but it is life changing in what I am able to do and can do. Anyone experience this or have any ideas. I do take
fish oil but really do not want to take pain pills. Thanks all for your input.
patb

Diagnosed June, 06, Stage I, Grade3, ER+PR- Her2positive, No Nodes. A/C X 4. Radiation 33 with boost, Herceptin every two weeks until Nov.
07, Arimedex for 5 years. Mugas and Echo and chest xRay. Bone scan of whole Body, and Back of Brain and spine MRI.
CT scan of Lungs every six months
due to two small places. December
2009, bone scan due to bone pain.
Follow up test in 2010.
Patb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:18 PM   #2
Becky

Dear Pat

A change in AI might be in order (to Femara or Aromosin) but try Iceland Health Joint Relief. It is fish oil (DHA and EPA) but it also has Glucosamine, Chorondrolin and hyaluronic acid. I did not have the pain you had when on Herceptin/Arimidex but once the neuropathy from Taxol abated (just this past winter), I began to run again and THAT started some joint problems. I used to enjoy running so much and really liked restarting. A friend swore by this product (which is just omega 3s with common joint supplements). Since it has the omega 3s as well, I cut back on the amount I take that are just plain omega 3s. It takes a month to get results but I am pain free. The bottle says take 2 per day but I took 2 twice a day for the first week. Then I took 3 per day (2 at breakfast and 1 at dinner) for the second week. Then I took the 2 per day. I swear by it and (if not for the heat of summer) I could run forever. It is alittle costly but try it. You can only get it online at www.Icelandhealth.com

If this or a similar product doesn't help, you might need to switch AIs which isn't a big deal. Stay on Herceptin though for your year unless your muga changes!!!

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:38 PM   #3
Ginagce

Pain on AI

I had no problems with taxol treatment and pain but once I started the Arimidex, the pain started and continually got worse. No supplements I took seemed to help at all and did wind up on pain meds.

Finally after 20 months of constant, sometimes debilitating pain, I had to give up the arimidex and switch to tamoxifen. I'm much rather take the ai but the quality of life issue was too strong to ignore.

Good luck to you. The one thing I did find helped was exercise.

Ginagce
Ginagce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:46 PM   #4
Esther

Pat, I had the same reaction to Arimidex. Celebrex helped, ask your onc for suggestions in coping with the pains.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote