HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-30-2006, 03:18 PM   #1
TriciaK

Advice needed

Dear friends, I am recovering still from the open heart surgery. I saw my oncologist today and he was amazed. He said the heart surgeon called him before the surgery to see what he thought my prognosis with the cancer was, and the onc said he told him "Tricia has a good chance for many more years, so I think the heart surgery is a good idea." I told him it was worth the surgery to hear that that was his opinion, because I have had a hard time pinning him down about what he thinks my life expectancy is. So that is good news.
I do have some serious concerns, though, that I need your advice about. My oldest daughter is a single mother in Texas. She's 54, and a wonderful, beautiful person, although she has had a very hard life. She is about to lose her job, home and everything, but still is hanging in. My biggest worry is that she has symptoms of uterine cancer. I was treated for several months before her birth with stilbesterol, because of the danger of miscarriage. For several years I have read of the danger of uterine cancer for stilbesterol baby girls, and she had promised to watch for it. For the last 6 years she has had no insurance, and so she hasn't seen a doctor. The symptoms are much worse, and I am so worried about her. What do you do if you have no insurance and a possible life-threatening disease? Is there any way she can see a doctor for a check-up with no money and no insurance? What do people do? I have been so blessed with good insurance from medicare and military tricare, and have never had to worry about insurance, so I don't even know where to turn. I feel so helpless for her! I really believe she has resigned herself to dying from cancer and feels there is nothing that can be done. I would be so grateful if any of you have any ideas to pass on to her.
This site has been such a blessing to me and I am so grateful for all of you. And Al, I am looking forward to meeting you on your trip to Arizona this fall! I have been so touched by you all! I have never thought Canada's medical situation was ideal but if my daughter were there I would at least have hope she could see a doctor. What do the rest of us do without insurance? I will be so grateful for any ray of hope! Hugs, Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote