HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-13-2006, 10:47 PM   #1
al from Canada

Please say a prayer for Linda

Hello everyone. I'm back for one post anyways.

Linda has been slowly going dowwnhill the past 2 weeks. I have been at the hospital with her 4 times in 2 weeks, as well as endless phone calls; about her fatigue, tarceva rash, (which none one really believes that's what it is). her not eating, sleeping endlessly etc. The rash has been unbelievable, like 4 cases of chicken pox all in one, around her lips so bad she csn't open her mouth to eat. Blood all over the pillow sheets every morning from bleeding lips. She has also developed all these opportunistic infections like pink eye, trush in her mouth, lip infections. Everytime something comes up, back to the hospital and another medicine! Chasing your tail is one phrase that comes to mind but still understates the past 2 weeks.

Things that I knew but have re-learned: extensive steriod use comprimizes your immune system, WBR is absolutely brutal, Tarceva does cause a rash but very severe in some cases. The wonderful Dr. Devon Webster called us the other night; right out of the blue just to see how Linda was doing. That my friends, is a lady so wonderful and committed to our cause, there aren't enough words to describe her.

Linda's test results: because of the WBR treatment, therefore no chemo, her liver mets took off AGAIN. So while she was recovering from WBR she was getting sicker from the liver mets. Switched to navelbine; a great drug as tonight's liver counts were the best in 4 months. We know it's not the liver mets. She is back on decatron, as if she gets better, it will be because of brain swelling going down. If that's the case, at least we will know what we are dealing with. Her hemoglobin is way down, which would cause fatigue. she is very dehydrated, has had 2 litres of fluids so far. They have put her on anti-biotics, eyedrops, morphine, gravol, neupogen, decatron....and I know I've missed something. Oh yes, she got her herceptin 1 week ago. A blood transfusion is scheduled for tomorrow.

The real kicker is, and those on the board who know me should appreciate this; no matter how diligent, how well read, how many second and third opinions, space-age drugs, due diligence........... somehow this evil disease can stil turn around on you and bite you in the ass!

Also, to Lyn, Lisa, hope, Tom's mom and all the others....I am truly sorry that I havn't been able to contribute to finding solutions to your personal struggles and it pains me to read your posts.

Anyway, I hope my (positive) intuition is right about Linda and she will once again rally like she always has, as she is one of formidable inner strength; that which would shame the strongest of men and yet could only be matched by my survivor friends here.

I'll try to check-in tomorrow (Friday) for an update.

Al