HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-02-2005, 08:02 PM   #1
sassy

The mouths of babes..

Its nice to know people care--even if they don't quite understand..

I lead the children's choir at church and was worried how my kids would react when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Its a small church, and we are fairly open about everything, so from the beginning I have shared my experiences with the children on a level I thought they could understand. The most obvious part to them was my hair loss--which they have all handled very well, rubbing my head, wearing my wigs, enjoying my hats and scaves and excitedly checking for new and continued hair growth.

A week or so ago, Andrew, who is 7, asked me to describe exactly how my hair came out--all at once, a little at a time--he was really interested. After church I talked with his Mom to tell her of our conversation, and she told me this story.

Andrew's Mom said he talks about me a lot and asks lots of questions. Always talking about what we do at church and what I have told them. One day, he looked at his Mom and said, "Mom, what exactly is wrong." To which his mother replied, "She has breast cancer." Andrew simply said, "Oh, OK."

The next day they were in town and Andrew saw the pink bracelets for sale. He took two dollars out of his pocket and bought one for himself and one for his little brother. Later that day, they were to participate with a group of boys scouts in a parade when several of the other boys starting making fun of the pink bracelets. "Don't you know boys don't wear PINK!"

Andrew proudly raised his fist, showing his bracelet and announced:" Yes boys do wear pink---and this stands for something! This stands for people who have WRIST CANCER!"

I guess this is close enough for a seven year old. Its enough that he cares.

Sassy
________
Washington Dispensaries

Last edited by sassy; 08-22-2011 at 08:33 AM..
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote