HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-02-2004, 12:47 AM   #1
Linda in MI.

Hi Everyone,

I'm just having one of "those" days that I'm sure most of you have experienced. If you have read my recent posts, I've been having some shortness of breath/cough and it appears it may just be side effects of taxotere and steroids. Chest x-ray did not show any new spots, just a small amount of fluid. Echo great-heart fine. RIght now I just feel like I might not be in the boat that I'm in if circumstances last year at this time were different. I was told of "subtle" changes on my bone scan--unsure if it was mets. Since I did not receive the herceptin arm originally of course this meant I could receive it now. Well, of course I said yes but I also mentioned to my onc about combining it with chemo since it tends to work better. She told me she did not think it was necessary at that time because there was no organ involvement (I had a ct scan and my liver and lungs were clear). She even discussed it with other doctors at a tumor meeting. ALso keep in mind that I go to a major cancer center. SO, I just went on the herceptin alone. Well, low and behold, in May I started coughing and in JUne was diagnosed with lung mets. It was probably there all the time but too small to show up on the scan in January.

I feel like I'm always a day late and a dollar short. First I did not receive the herceptin arm in the trial, then this happens. I've always been very proactive in my treatment, I do alot nutritionally, etc. yet these bad things still seem to happen. Now I keep wondering if I would have been put on perhaps navelbine with the herceptin maybe the lung mets would have never grown, perhaps it would have been knocked out when it was there but too small to show on the cat scan and I would not be in this predicament that I'm in.

I know I can't change the past but this IS MY LIFE and we only have one chance at life, right? Did my onc. make a major mistake?

Please help!!

Blessings and Hugs,

Linda in MI.

P.S. I'm not giving up but I just need a boost right now!!