HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #21
Ruth

Re: Oh no! Not ice cream, too! Risk of death from bc increases in survivors overind

I'm not sure how to take these studies....I think the toxins that we are polluting our grasses, waters and seas are more to blame. My older sister has just been diagnosed again in her other breast with stage 1; ER/PR 99% Her2- and allergic to dairy her whole life....no high fat cheese, no ice cream and no chocolate. How mayo missed this second tumor on the other side is beyond me but first one was found last September on left side. Tubular tiny and grade 1. Other side just found still Stage 1 but 1.5 cm and low grade so it's been there for a while. Now she needs chemo and starts next week. My cancer was completely opposite of hers (i was ER/PR - , Her2 3+) We are BRAC neg etc. The one thing we have in common is we grew up on well water that happened to be next to a huge university research field where they tested pesticides on plants in the 70's. My best friend died of adrenal cortical carcinoma and she lived in my neighborhood and she was 32. We lost 3 people in a block - across my street, behind my house and across the street from my best friend Cheri's house from multiple myeloma. Coincidence? I just can't imagine so. I know I am a lucky one and if anyone asks me what I did to make it so far (almost 10 years NED in 3 months) from a stage 3 diagnosis with poor prognosis factors (10+ lymph nodes) i don't really know. Herceptin no doubt played a huge part but I ate my cheese when my body said yummy. I had my chocolate and wine ( not often but when I wanted it). i walked but not on streets where cars are driving by me. I also stayed totally away and still do from pesticides, indoor house sprays, fabric softeners on clothes, dry cleaners, anything with MSG and lastly to sunscreen companies horror I try to get daily sunshine for 20 minutes sans sunblock. Crazy and maybe nothing to it but my sister did absolutely everything what someone should do and still got it. She was/is 100% organic and has been for years and years. Before we even knew organic. There are genetic factors in all of us but to me something triggers this inflammation and cancer, whether its stress, poison, radiation, foods who knows? We have to live and most of all be happy. I wouldn't be happy if I couldn't eat my peanut M&M'S Mexican cheese dip and whatever else I craved. I think if we live in moderation with "bad foods" and with happiness it's all worth it to me. This is just my humble opinion.
Normally I don't write much and haven't in so long but my sisters recent second diagnosis has just put me in a bad place emotionally. She is only 49.
Lugs to all of you!
Ruth

Diagnosed 6/03 nursing daughter
Dose dense A/C 4x
Modified rad mast 8/03
IDC; 3 cm; 10+/16 nodes; ER/PR-; Her2+++
Weekly taxol w/Herceptin (off label) 12x's
40 weeks Herceptin
Radiation 33x
Reconstruction w/ implants 05 & 07
NED
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote