HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
jml

Myelodysplastic Syndrome - Robin Roberts...now I'm feeling nervous

Hi Friends~
You may have caught the last segment on Good Morning America this morning when Robin Roberts, who was diagnosed and treated for early stage BC 5 years ago(she did have chemo) revealed today that she has Myelodysplastic Syndrome, a bone marrow disorder that some researchers believe could be a precursor to Acute Myeloid Luekemia. She's scheduled for a bone marrow transplant later this Fall and her sister will be her donor.
Here's a link to the article:
http://www.latimes.com/news/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-robin-roberts-myelodysplastic-20120611,0,375744.story

Now I'm freaked out beause I've been struggling with "low counts" for a number of months now. And as of today, this is my third week "chemo break" from qd oral Cytoxan & bid methotrexate because my counts have not bounced back - in spite of 2 transfusions only 5 weeks apart. I've been chronically anemic (Hgb hovering in/below 10)and severely neutropenic since starting Halaven last August. In spite of switching to the oral CM combo, my counts haven't really made an impressive rebound.
And as the article states, "Symptoms are often not apparent, but can include shortness of breath, weakness or tiredness, pale skin, easy bruising and bleeding, and fever or frequent infections." I've been living with those symptoms for many, many months now. Some days are better than others, but for the most part I just don't have the energy and physical motivation that I used to.
I know there are specific criteria that only my doctor can look at to help distinguish chronic anemia from MDS, but this is something I've feared. Thus far I've just been saying, "My poor bone marrow is just so fatigued after 10years & 250+ rounds of chemo..."
But then considering Robin Roberts probably had standard therapy (6-8 cycles of chemo), I guess the susceptiblity to developing MDS is not dose related?

I am officially freaked out and and resisting the urge to fire off a panicky email to my Onc. But I will see her on Thursday and will get Vitamin H and I think I can hold out until then.

If anyone has any thoughts our experience with MDS, please share?

Keep the Faith~

Jessica
jml is offline   Reply With Quote