HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
Jean

Wanted to share this....

Like many of you I take supplements each day and have been doing so for years. This week I added a new supplement to my routine. I had heard that Niacin was helpful in raising the good HDL cholesterol. Since I am taking an AI and we know that AI can increase the LDL level (the bad cholesterol).... so I purchased Niacin. Day one I took the Niacin supplement after my breakfast and left to meet a client. Within the hour
I had the worst hot flash (I have not been experiencing any hot flashes while on Femara) not one!!!! This felt like a burning on skin around my neck and down my arms....no sweating...but a severe burning sensation running up and around my neck and my ears began to tingle like needles. I thought I would explode and had to remain calm as I was in a meeting with a client.
After about an hour passed it began to subside.
But I was pretty shaken up by it. My thoughts were if I continue getting this I will be in serious trouble and it flet just as if a flame was near my skin. I did not think much more about it. Then today I took my vit. in the morning...went into my office and I was giving a meeting and all of a sudden Bam....I felt like both my arms would fall off from the burning heat... It .traveled to my neck area and then up to my ears....I thought my head would explode. It felt like scorching flames burning my skin, again no sweating at all just this dry flaming burning sensation. I don't know how I got through my delivery at the meeting...but this time I knew this is not an ordinary reaction for me. Again
it went away after almost 2 hrs of constant burning of my skin. I called the health food store where I purchased my vit. and the owner informed that in fact
Niacin can cause this. So - I quickly thought about many of our sisters who are suffering from hot flashes and began to wonder if you are taking Niacin or if your MV has a high element of it? That any woman who is experiencing normal hot flashes should definitely stay away from Niacin supplement.

jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006