HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-18-2010, 11:55 AM   #21
TriciaK

Re: Any other Power Port patients here?

For what they are worth, here are my experiences with a portacath: I have always had difficult veins to access. When I had the heart attack in 2004 which led to the discovery of my 3rd BC mets (her2 and in my lungs) the EMT's tried over 10 times in the ambulance to access a blood vessel and finally found one in my right wrist. I spent a month in the hospital being treated for the coronary and the cancer and looked like a pin cushion before someone finally insisted I needed a port for chemo and herceptin. What a difference! Last year the old port was replaced by a power port. Unless I am in the hospital I go to my oncology nurses for all blood tests any doctor orders and for a once a month flush. The chemo lab sends lab test reports to whatever doctors I request. They even prepare the port access for PET and other scans as needed and if necessary, for surgical procedures. The first two days of July this year I had to go to the ER and the port was accessed by a very new ER nurse who had never done an actual port access before, but it was still better than trying to find a vein. I insist on the port being used and sometimes have to be very adamant. I save my one accessible vein in case I have an EMT situation again sometime. I could have had the port removed entirely instead of replacing it with the power port but am glad I didn't because I am now on chemo again. As you can tell, because of my experiences, I highly recommend a power port! I wish I had known about them sooner and commend all of you for the help and advice you have shared here. As usual, this website is of priceless value! Hugs, Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote