HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-08-2009, 08:39 AM   #11
Rich66

Well..mom's gonna be living la vida hospital another night due to a 100 temp last night.
Regarding the scans, the onc seems to think the measurable growth could be a combination of an irreglarly shaped tumor "sliced" by the CT at a slightly different spot. I'm hoping he isn't confusing the notation on the 3mm spot with the measurable growth. Maybe I'll revist that tomorrow. Plan is to continue Xeloda but re-scan in 6 weeks, a shorter interval than usual. I'm getting a little whiff of "moving the goal posts" and said as much this morning. In our first consult, there was talk of a need for 50% tumor reduction in 6-8 weeks. That was 2nd week of October. The thought then was to get the liver to a better place with the potential of a more aggressive regimen that's harder on the liver. He did say Xeloda might be osmething that could be used for along time if it was effective. Although the 50% reuction seemed unrealistic to me, seems we aren't even close to that at 12 weeks. Onc now seems to think that because things are relatively stable with improving blood numbers(LFT, CA27) and minimal side effects, Xeloda should be continued in hopes of a later kicking in. Based on my concerns about a single biopsy site determining her2 status, I brought up the her2 serum test and he thought that might be a good idea a little later but said interpreting a negative result is difficult. I mentioned that a positive result would be something to work with and he agreed. So..I'm thinking, just do it now...but..everything is a waiting game it seems. And you all know how fun that is.
I think I have to remind myself how bad things were looking in early October. Important to push to better the situation but have to maintain a little perspective. I think mom is better at that because she feels better than then. I sometimes think about the issues both my parents (Dad in a nursing home) are dealing with and have to be thankful they aren't flipping out.
Ah well..I haven't gone into the spheres issue with the onc but there is a tentative consult on that next week. I hope to send them current scans today or tomorrow.
As always, feedback appreciated,
Rich

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote