HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-29-2008, 11:42 AM   #1
Emmay

brain mets update -- follow-up

While Temodar/Sorafenib worked well in holding back brain mets in my sister from Feb07 - Sept07, slight indications of growth eventually appeared on the MRI.

She then switched to Tykerb/Xeloda, but after 4 months the MRI showed slight new flaring... Hoping it was necrosis, we waited for the next MRI 6 weeks later, which showed more pronounced enlargement of areas which had already been treated by Cyberknife. A biopsy was done to determine if the MRI was showing new disease or necrosis. Unfortunately the biopsy showed both necrosis and growing disease, so she is back on Decadron to control swelling and headaches, and has changed medications.
(Her vision has also been affected, and she has an appt. with the hospital ophthalmologist coming up...)

My sister had her first infusion of two new agents, Irinotecan (aka CPT-11) and Avastin, over 2 weeks ago. So far she is tolerating the new chemo fairly well -- the side effect is mostly increased fatique.

I'm sorry to have to report my sister's disappointing results on Tykerb/Xeloda, but want to keep this board informed of new therapies as they are tried. I've found the information shared on this site invaluable.

Emmay
Emmay is offline   Reply With Quote