HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-29-2008, 09:21 AM   #1
Paris

Post treatment scans - what is your philosophy?

As I have been taken off herceptin due to cardiomyopathy I have now entered the post treatment stage of my life. At this point I need to decide what I want to do regarding the scan/no scan philosophy that doctors have. My current onc. does not do scans unless there are symptoms. I can live with this to a degree, however, he doesn't listen well enough when I bring any health concerns or side effects up. I complained for months of fatigue and exercise intolerance with shortness of breath. Onc. refused to believe it was herceptin related. I saw a cardiologist, had many tests and yes it is herceptin doing the damage. I am at a cross roads with my onc. because how am I to trust him if I have symptoms down the road? Is he going to blow me off for six months until I am really ill? I am also worried (although I am living with it) because I am the patient that has had all the things happen to them that statistically shouldn't have happened. I was diagnosed at 40, am hormone negative, had incredible pain with the expanders, got an infection in nipple six weeks after nipple reconstruction, am in the 7% of people that get herceptin damage not tied in with A/C chemo. So with my small cancer statistically speaking I should not recurr. I'm not so sure of that. Personally I am more comfortable with trying to stay ahead of the game with scans than waiting for something to happen. I don't think my onc. is going to see things my way.

I could go down to PENN as I've heard they do more in the way of follow up. I know I at least need to sit down with my onc. to discuss this. It would be very helpful to know what you ladies do in terms of follow up and your beliefs.

That said, I fully intend to live a long and happy life whatever happens along the way!
SNB Node Negative
Chemo Taxotere, Cytoxan 2/07-4/07
Herceptin Started 5/07
Exchange surgery 6/15/07
Herceptin stopped after 12 rounds due to herceptin induced cardiomyopathy
On heart meds 'til?
Age 40 at diagnosis
Cancer may have been a defining moment but it does not define me!
Paris is offline   Reply With Quote