HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-28-2007, 05:35 PM   #1
rinaina

shingles

Well, I never expected this one. With all the worries us bc sisters have, I never dreamed of being layed up with shingles. It started on Monday night this past week. I felt a sharp stabbing pain on the right side going around to my back at waist level. I thought it might be a pain due to something new I added to my exercise routine but no such luck. The pain was bad enough to disturb my sleep. The next day I developed itching in addition to the pain. I had my husband take a look at the site, ( it is difficult for me to see it clearly even with using 2 mirrors). My husband said he thought it looked like a few insect bites. Since Monday, the pain and itching increased and I haven't had much sleep at night, as it feels worse at night. I can't stand to have anything touching it, even clothing. It is so sensitive. My week was so full and busy that I didn't have time to talk or see a doctor until Friday morning. The oncologist said on the phone that he was sure it was shingles and he was willing to prescribe over the phone an anti-viral med to be taken for 10 days and 20mg of prednisone for 5 days and then I was to come in and see him next Thursday. I didn't want to start the meds until I was seen so he agreed to see me right away. The shingles diagnosis was confirmed and I started the meds right away. I understand that anyone who has chicken pox is susceptible to shingles. I also have learned that anyone who has had cancer treatment, an autoimmune disease of any kind, (I have Sjogren's Syndrome), anyone with a comprimised immune system, (we all have that having gone through chemo), are more susceptible to shingles. I am experiencing so much pain and itching. I have every thing you could possibly take to relieve the symptoms but at this point I am not getting much relief. We added a pain pill to the regiment in hopes that I would get more relief and sleep so we shall see how tonight goes because I just started that prescription today. I feel just awful and the lack of sleep is really doing me in too. The doctor told me I can add a few tylenol p.m. to the regiment an hour before I go to sleep, (what is sleep, I can't remember now), and see if that helps any. If I don't sleep any better tonight then I will call back and see if I can get a sleeping pill that would help more then the tylenol p.m.
So sorry to complain but I am just miserable and looking for any suggestions, education on shingles, anything any of you may want to share with me. I have of course researched it quite a bit this week on the internet, but I know how smart all of my sisters are on here so I am sure you can contribute something on this subject. Thanking you in advance for your input and help.
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
rinaina is offline   Reply With Quote