HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-04-2007, 11:39 AM   #1
Sheryl H

Herceptin and care questions

I had a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy December 12th. Clear margins - my radiologist said smaller than he likes to see, but still clear, 5 nodes removed, all clear. Had DCIS and IDC - .9 cm. I am 56 years old, have gone through menopause, ER+, PR+, Stage 1, Grade 2, Her2 Positive. Did seven weeks of radiation, with the last eight, being the boost. Originally, my oncologist did not recommend chemo, which was why I started with radiation.
When I had the oncotype dx test done, it showed I had a high rate of recurrence. With that in mind, my onc recommended four doses of A/C. Just had my third yesterday.
Last Friday I went to another onc in Walla Walla, Washington. Wanted a second opinion. My original onc hadn't ordered any heart tests before A/C and also seems reluctant to prescribe Herceptin. The onc in Walla Walla thought I didn't need heart scans with only the four doses of A/C but would benefit from taxol with Herceptin after the A/C.
When I spoke to my original onc yesterday about all of this, he didn't think the taxol was warranted, but possibly a 12 week regimen of Herceptin.
Also, my original onc was proposing tamoxifen, whereas the one I consulted for a second opinion, thought Femara or Arimidex would be better.
I am so tired and confused about what to do. I feel like I really need to have the Herceptin, but is a 12 week regimen good or not? Have most of you used taxol along with the Herceptin? And is tamoxifen a good option or would Femara or Arimidex be better?
I know you are not doctors. I am just interested in what your experiences have been. Thank-you so much. I have received so much info and encouragement on this site. I pray for each and every one of you and keep you in my thoughts.
Sheryl H is offline   Reply With Quote