HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-14-2007, 05:23 AM   #1
bobbiw

Question Metabolizing Tamoxifen

During my onc appointment Thursday he told me that my body doesn't metabolize the Tamoxifen like they would like it to. I am also not yet in menopause, despite the constant hot flashes, so switching to an AI is not an option. Because I am HER2+++ and ER and PT+ this is a bit of a concern....for me anyway dang it. He is unsure of what to do and is going to check with colleagues at Mayo but the thoughts he is having are-
Continue the Tamox and check me frequently for full menopause. The minute I go he will then switch (this seemed to be his preferance).
Or stop my ovaries from working by removing them. And then switch me to an AI.
Has anyone else had this? And if so what have you done? I am 50 so the ovaries are not a must have for me. I have been on the Tamox for almost a year now. This sort of unnerves me, I feel as if I want the ovaries out of there, I dont need them to be working against me after everything else that I have done to fight this thing!
Thanks
Bobbi
IDC Grade 3 of 3
Tumor 2 cm margins clear
HER-2/neu 3+++
Er Pr +
Began chemo/AC every 3 weeks 12-6-05 followed by Taxol and weekly Hercpetin (Herceptin through June 2007)
Right prophlyactic mastectomy June 2006 with expanders. Due to have exchange surgery sometime end of May 2007.
Exchange surgery completed June 2007 with saline implants and nipples. Darned left implant is lopsided to the left due to the wrongly formed pocket and my wrongly formed chest wall!
Switched from Tamoxifen to Armidex in May due to menopause.
bobbiw is offline   Reply With Quote