HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-24-2006, 06:36 AM   #1
jessica

What's the REAL DEAL w/Mastec & Expanders...?

Hi Everyone~
Just wondering if those of you who've had a mastectomy w/reconstruction using expanders & implants can share your experience & wisdom?
I have a f/u Breast MRI today & unless there's been a miraculous resolution of all the DCIS in there, I'm anticipating the "BIG" surgery before the end of the year. (I'm not beyond believing in miracles-I've been fortunate to be on the receiving end of many on this journey!)
I've been reading so many things about the surgery & conflicting info about the expanders - "not painful at all" to "very painful". Don't know who/what to believe?
I had a liver resection Dec'05 & endured that really well & healed w/o complications. The Liver remains beautifully CLEAN, but last Feb'06 we discovered a new 1cm invasive lesion in the L breast, which was removed w/an excisional biopsy, but left behind pervasive, high-grade DCIS.Since then, we've been "vigilantly watching" the DCIS, but ultimately, a mastectomy is my only option.
I'd prefer not to wait for that DCIS to turn "ugly" before pursuing the mastectomy.Since I'm all healed up from the liver, the DCIS is still stable and my deductible's met (Ugh! I hate to make a decision based on $$ & insurance, but it's just an unfortunate reality!), I'd just as well do it sooner than later. I don't want to have to make these decisions "under the gun".

I just want to know the "REAL STORY" from those who really know!

Last edited by jessica; 10-24-2006 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: typos...
jessica is offline   Reply With Quote