HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-07-2006, 12:21 PM   #1
mom22girlz

Does Her2 + status nearly guarantee chemo?

I have been diagnosed with Stage 1 breast cancer. At first thought I would just have radiation, but now the Dr. indicates a possible need for more. will find out on March 14. I got the impression it was because of my her+ status. I am 47 and premenopausal. does this perhaps mean chemo? I was also a bit confused by my pathology report. Any one who can decipher?

The breast tissue aggregates to 4 cm in greatest dimension. Multiple sections of breast biopsy show extensive ductal carcinoma in situ (cribform, micropapillary and solid type) with high grade cytology. Blocks (7 and 9) show foci of microinvasive carcinoma with surrounding stromal reaction. Sections of the surgical resection margin show no evidence of malignancy.

ER 2+
PR 2+
Her2 2+
FISH results 25 cells examined her-2/neu signals to chromosomes 17 signals calculated. Ratio was 6.41, indicating amplification of this gene.

Thanks. S
mom22girlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 12:28 PM   #2
Sherryg683

I'm not a doctor, but I would guess because of your her2 status and the fact that the cancer is agressive they would also want to treat you more agressively, with chemo. Hang in there, you'll be fine....sherryg683
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 02:31 PM   #3
Unregistered

well the good news is you are er/pr+ which means that you can use hormonal treatments and you had "microinvasive" disease. That is really good. Was it in your lymphnodes?
Old 03-07-2006, 08:17 PM   #4
Maggie

I'm also thinking, it's because of the size of the tumor.Maggie
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 11:49 PM   #5
AlaskaAngel

That's funny...

I wondered the same thing. I haven't heard yet of anyone who tested strongly positive HER2 that wasn't recommended to get chemo.

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:44 AM   #6
helene

her2

I was her2 (2+) positive fish and chemo was not recommended but I was stage 1 breast cancer infiltrating ductal cacinoma
had lumpectomy radiation and now on arimdex
should I have insisted on chemo due to her 2
Old 03-09-2006, 03:40 PM   #7
Petesmom

Last year I had a recurrence. The tumor was 7mm, ER/PR+ and Her+++ (IHC test done, but no FISH). I had a mastectomy and the oncologist said no to chemo. He put me on Tamoxifen because I was still having periods (I am almost 53). After much research on these boards and elsewhere, I decided to have my ovaries removed so that I could take Arimidex because I have been reading more and more that this drug is possibly better than Tamoxifen for Her2+++ ladies. Who knows if this is the right decision. I just had my annual mammogram on my other breast and it was fine and the check up with the surgeon today was fine. We tend to just second guess ourselves all the time and it comes down to having good info, an oncologist who is thoughtful and listens and doing what we think with the info we have at the moment. I think you ladies are wonderful and once again I send blessings to you all.

Petesmom
Petesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:47 AM   #8
Lisa1962

My initial diagnosis was Stage IV - ER/PR/HER2 positive - mets to liver and spine

I have not had chemo... just Herceptin and hormonals and I am NED I was after 2 herceptin treatments (two lupron shots and daily femara)

lucky - very lucky

but I do anticipate being on chemo one day

I just have a reprieve - and I do appreciate that it is most likely only a reprieve

I don't reccommend this treatment - just saying that HER2 doesn't ALWAYS mean chemo right away
Lisa1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 12:30 PM   #9
Michelle

I'am also stage 1, but chemo was reccomended as my tumor was 1.9cm.
Michelle
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:22 PM   #10
CLTann

I am also stage 1, the tumor size is 0.8 cm. Her2 +++, Er/Pr both positive. The Onc left it to me whether I need chemo or not. I had mastectomy. I opted to do no chemo, and no radiation. I am on arimidex. No tests were suggested on my last six month visit. So not everyone with HER2 positive is destined for chemo.

Wish you the best and luck.

Ann
CLTann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:53 PM   #11
Jean

I was dx with 6MM tumor size - Her2/nu-3+ estrogen positive - node neg.

Chemo WAS NOT recommended by three top oncs. Dr. Michaelson at St. Barnabas was and is one of my Onc. Being Her2/nu does not mean that chemo is a given. There are many other factors that must be considered. This was a painful jounrey for me - since I pushed very hard thinking that I should have chemo since I was Her2 etc . Tumor size has very much to do with the decision and grade of the tumor plus the nodes. But I stand on the soap box and shout get two three or more opinions from the top oncs in the field.

Jean
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:55 PM   #12
Jean

Oops! Forget to mention - had 26 x rad, plus 6 boosters - and I am taking

Arimidex. Will be one year out April 15th...Gold Bless Us All!
Old 03-09-2006, 06:01 PM   #13
Jean

Oops once again, I am her2/nu postive...typo on earlier post.

I want to say once again that we are so very fortunate to have this site. I have learned so much from all the wonderful ladies. A big thank you!

Jean