HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-07-2007, 03:47 PM   #1
Esther

Herceptin Increasing Appetite?

I was on herceptin from Jan 04-April07, had a 5 month break to test out going on Tykerb and am now back on Herceptin.

When I was on Herceptin the first time, I gained weight during the time I was on it. Once off of it, I was able to begin losing the weight.

Now since my infusion 2 weeks ago, I am finding that I have a bigger appetite and am hungrier. Could it be the Herceptin?

Has anyone else had an increase in appetite from Herceptin?
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 04:53 PM   #2
KellyA

Hi Esther,

I did have problems with my appetite/weight increasing with the Herceptin. All in all, I gained around 15-20 lbs. The weight has gradually begun to come off, but I still have around nine or so to go. I definitely felt hungrier on the Herceptin and would even feel a little sick or nauseaous (SP?!) if I let my stomach get too empty.

Love, Kelly
Stage 2b, 2 tumors- 2.2 cm and 0.6 cm, 3/5 + nodes
all scans clear
genetic testing- negative
06/06 began dd A/C x 4, 12 weekly Taxols w/ Herceptin
30 rads
Herceptin weekly x 1 year
Herceptin completed 08/07
Port removed 12/26/07 MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!
05/17/08 Two year anniversary NED

"We gain strength, courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... you must do the thing that you think you cannot do."

-Eleanor Roosevelt

KellyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:50 PM   #3
Becky

Dear Esther

One of the biggest reasons that I was happy to change from weekly Herceptin to the triple dose was that I CRAVED chocolate big time especially the day after Herceptin. I would make brownies and whatever my kids and their friends didn't eat the day after Herceptin, I would eat and then throw them away.

I didn't crave anything else but chocolate but it was an intense crave.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:23 PM   #4
Lani

request for Esther, KellyA, Becky

Could you please add this to our thread listing "side effects of herceptin, imagined or not" as perhaps someday we should l present that thread to those at Genentech responsible for gathering data on herceptin side effects post-FDA approval. I realize the list is anecdotal, but I have not seen evidence that such data is being actively sought (the FDA requires drug companies to do gather this information post approval, but rarely enforces that requirement, so most drug companies do not actively pursue the data)

THANKS!
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:19 AM   #5
harrie

wt gain?

I have been on triple dosage every 3 wks since mid-May and I have not noticed any increased appetite or weight gain. Since I ended chemo I have also been able to increase my exercise program so maybe that helped.

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:36 AM   #6
KRISS

I am very much like Becky. I have never had a sweet tooth. One bite of ice cream is all I ever needed. But now it is like I have to have sugar every day. The craving is much stronger right after my treatment. I always thought the plus to cancer would be weight loss. Funny me, I've gained 18lbs.
PARTIAL 12/18/06
HER2+ /ER+(75%) PR+(5%)
4 DD AC CHEMO STARTING 1/10/07
4 DD Taxol Starting 3/5/07
1year weekly Herceptin starting 3/5/07
finished 2/18/08
changed to every 3 weeks 4/23/07
completed 33 radiation treatments 7/6/07
TAH and BSO 9/24/07
start Femarra 10/8/07
Started Neritinib trial 12/14/09
KRISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:37 PM   #7
fauxgypsy

I haven't had a problem with weight gain or appetite. Actually my appetite has decreased. If I didn't eat with Dale I would probably have skipped several meals. I have been off taxol and carboplatin for about two and a half months and am continuing the herceptin every three weeks and I have actually lost a few pounds. I ache all over though, especially my hips and feet.

Leslie
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:26 PM   #8
Karen W

I didn't crave anything in particular or gain weight while on Herceptin.

Karen
Karen W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:42 AM   #9
MJo

I gained 40 pounds during treatment. I was hungry all the time. I finished Herceptin one year ago and am beginning to lose the weight thanks to Weight Watchers. I have 20 pounds to go. It is not uncommon for women to gain weight during BC treatment. I was afraid I'd never lose the weight, but one year later my body seems to be returning to normal and I'm able to regulate my appetite better. My attitude toward weight has changed since BC, and I can't believe I spent all those years worrying about my dress size. What a waste. My healthy weight will probably put me at size 12-14 and I am going to celebrate. I believe that if we gain weight during treatment we should not worry too much about it and that we should give our bodies time to return to equilibrium after treatment. We can all get back to a healthy weight after treatment, but it may take time.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:32 AM   #10
PinkGirl

Unhappy hey MJO

I was waiting for someone to echo my story. I also gained 40 lbs. along the way. I lost weight on FAC and then started to gain on T/H. I had a HUGE appetite that I blamed on the decadron. But when I finished Taxol and stopped the decadron, I kept gaining.

I have not been able to lose it. I manage to drop about 5 pounds and then when I eat normally, I gain it back. I also have HUGE cravings for chocolate. I have always liked chocolate but I didn't used to dream about it !!

My hair is growing very slowly ( used to need to trim it every 4 weeks ) and my fingernails just started to grow last month. I am tall and "big boned" and actually have more of a problem with the # of pounds I weigh than I do with what I look like. I have become a "Monday morning" dieter and exerciser. It lasts until Tuesday.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:39 AM   #11
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Cool I'm Familiar With That Diet...

Ditto. Longterm Vit H user. The #####s. I know that Monday Morning Diet. For me, it only lasts till noon...

Hair thinner, dryer, less wavy on its own. PRODUCT. Volumizer and curl conscious hydrating lotion. Hairline never reappeared after Taxotere (2nd round of chemo). No eyebrows. Little eye lashes. Had good brows and long, thick lashes. Nails thin too. And peely. So -- thin hair, nails and veins (I'm told). Just my luck! What about the rest of me??? Not the areas I was hoping for thinness... BUT I'M DANCING WITH NED, and you just can't beat that. So full of gratitude and AW SHUCKS.
Andi

'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote