HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-03-2006, 08:47 PM   #1
Chelee

New here, starting chemo soon?

Someone directed me to this board since I am stage IIIA, high grade, Er & Pr weakly negative, Her2/Neu 3 +++. From what I understand Herceptin is the only drug for us Her2/Neu 3 +++ women?

And also I am told its not as good since I am what they consider Er &Pr weakly negative...I hear its better if your positive? What I don't understand, is I haven't seen anyone else that was told they were "weakly positive", except for me. But I am so new to all this. Either I see your positive, or negative...what is this weakly positive stuff?

Due to this, my oncologist wants to start me on Herceptin, Taxotere, and carboplatin. I was also told that carboplatin is only used when there is mets? Is that true? Because I just had my scans and they said they were clean? Although there was some node involment...so maybe that is why they choose to use the carboplatin?

I am suppose to start chemo this coming tues. and I am scared as I am sure you can all understand.

Maybe this is dumb, but what does "AC" stand for...or mean? I keep seeing it...does AC stand for a certain type of chemo? Sorry for all the questions.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:09 PM   #2
Bev

AC = Adriamycin(doxorubicin) and Cytoxan(Cyclophosamide). They kill cells that reproduce quickly, hair and cancer, to clean up the majority of cancer cells have escaped the original tumor. I would guess that one of the drugs in your regiment would have the same effect. AC would be used for both hormone neg end pos. I'm sure you'll get more authoratative advice shortly. Bev
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:13 PM   #3
Becky

AC is adriamycin and cytoxin - a different mixture of chemo drugs. The mixture your oncologist is using is somewhat common for Her2 breast cancer but AC followed by taxol + herceptin is a more common regime. Do you know why your doctor picked carboplatin, taxotere + herceptin? You should ask. Carboplatin is not only used if there are mets. AC followed by taxol + herceptin is used if nodes are involved (as can be the carbo, taxotere, herceptin mix). It can be used in the adjuvant situation such as yours.

I am moderate for ER positive (50%) but I am weakly PR positive (at less than 5% - some literature calls this negative). People who are Her 2+ can be hormone negative (for both ER and PR) or strongly positive for both (or anything in between). At least half of Her2 positive women are hormone negative. It is good to be ER/PR positive, even if it is weak because after chemo, you can take an aromotase inhibitor (you will start this when you are still on herceptin alone). Herceptin and the aromotase inhibitor work well together to further help prevent a recurrence.

You should ask your doctor about this too.

Do not hesitate to ask questions to your doctor or to this board and we are here to help each other out.

Have a nice weekend.

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 05:03 PM   #4
Unregistered

Becky, thanks for telling me what AC was. I kept seeing it and had no idea. Its funny that you said ususally they use Taxol and herceptin as that IS what my doctor first wrote down on a paper for me. I asked why he changed to the taxetere after telling me Taxol? He just said it was a mistake...that where he learned on the EAST COAST...that is what they did...verses here on the WEST coast...this is what they use. (So that's all he told me about that???)

As to the carbplotin...I haven't a clue. He just seems to think this is what is best for me and my type cancer. It was put up in front of a cancer board from what I was told...and this is their choice.

Also thanks so much for explaining about the Er & Pr being weakly positive. I couldn't find any info on that. You explained that very well. I really appreciate it so much.

I am glad I was directed to this board...I can see it will be very helpful to me and I can also see there is alot of support here. I need all I can get.

I just wish I wasn't so darned nervous about my chemo starting Tues. Everyone tells me to think positive and get my head in the right place for that. But I already had major anxiety LONG before this came up...so I am especially nervous. I pray I can get through even the first day without a major panic attack. Has anyone else here ever had to live with anxiety/panic attacks and actually made it through chemo? I hope they can give me something if I get to upset.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:07 PM   #5
Chelee

That was my reply above...I forgot to log in. Sorry about that.

Chelee
Old 02-04-2006, 05:47 PM   #6
Joe
Webmaster

Chelee,

Every woman on this board was just as nervous as you before they started chemo. Just remember we all are here to help you and support you in anyway we can.

Warmest Regards
Joe
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 06:13 PM   #7
Audrey

Hi Chelee, Joe's right, everyone is anxious before starting chemo--but for me, once I started treament I was much less anxious since it felt good to be actually doing something to treat the cancer. Once you get into your treatment routine it just becomes part of your life and is easier to deal with then all the anticipation beforehand. Although it was not fun, I found A/C to be less horrible then I imagined--it was hard to lose my hair, but i honestly wasn't as nauseated/tired as I thought I would be--they have some really good anti-nausea drugs now. Speaking of drugs, my doctor put me on a low dose of Paxil to control my anxiety and I found it really helpful--speak up --your doctor and nurses want you to get through this as painlessly as possible. And remember, for many of us these drugs really work--I was diagnosed 4 1/2 years ago with aggressive, Stage III breast cancer with lymph node involvement, but the combination of A/C, Taxol, radiation and Herceptin really knocked it out--have been NED since 2001! Think positive and hang in there--we're all here for you--
Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 07:35 PM   #8
Chelee

Thanks so much for your support Joe...and to everyone else on this board. All this is so overwhelming as I am sure you all know too well...but its nice to know there are others out there that truly understand what I am going through. Family tries...but they just don't fully understand. Thanks again!